Friday, May 11, 2012

Walkin' on Sunshine

Today was even nicer than yesterday, with temperatures in the lower 70s, low humidity, and lots of sunshine. It was still a bit windy, but not as cool. It was a great day to get a lot of things done, starting with my second run to the gym. It was a bit busier this morning than earlier in the week. I was able to get a good work-out on the elliptical machine in (while watching the Mother's Day special on The Price Is Right - contestants and their mothers competed). Had to wait for several of the arm machines, though. There were a lot of people working on the weight machines this morning, for some reason.

Headed to the Acme next. I picked up my two paychecks (one is for vacation), then did my grocery shopping. I spent a lot more than usual. They were having some great chicken and pork sales. I bought boneless, skinless chicken thighs, ground chicken, and thin-cut chicken breast. Nestle has started selling those bags of mint chocolate chips again. I loved those at Christmas a couple of years ago, but they kept disappearing! I had to treat myself while they're available. I bought things for Lauren's visit next week and the week after, including whole wheat wraps, Cheerios, eggs, sugar, fruit concentrate, almonds, pears, grapefruit, bananas, and Emerald trail mix bags.

It took me a while to get all that home and put away! When I finally finished, I had pan-fried tilapia, green beans, and a spinach salad for lunch, then went for a quick walk to the bank to deposit my two paychecks. It was just gorgeous outside. It doesn't get much nicer in early May in southern New Jersey. The air smells of roses and clover. The bushes and gardens are a riot of color. The irises are out, in every shade from soft lemon yellow to the deepest purple. The bank was a little busy when I arrived, but not too bad, and I was in and out.

When I got in, I had just enough time to experiment with a banana muffin recipe from one of my British baking books. Instead of brown sugar, I added honey and apple concentrate. Added flaxseed meal, too. Yum! They came out mellow and sweet, but not overly so. They also came out just in time for me to head to work.

Work was a pain again. We were busy right up until I left at 9:30! We didn't have enough help that late to handle the crowds. There were long lines until a manger finally came in, which is the only reason I was able to shut down and get out on time at all.

I work fairly normal evening hours on Sunday and another late night on Monday. Tuesday is a regular day off, and then...vacation! My best friend Lauren will be coming down from Pittsfield, Massachusetts on Wednesday evening. I can't wait! We've had a great time the last few years she's visited.

No comments: