Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Pea-Soup-Peanut Butter Kind of Fog

I awoke around 10:30...I think. Not that I could see much. It was foggy here for most of the day. At any rate, I read in bed and did my journal and didn't get to making Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes until nearly an hour later. Ran the second half of Brunch With the Beatles during breakfast. Today's theme discussed the Beatles in 1970 and 1971. The second hour mostly played songs from after their break-up - Paul and Linda's "Uncle Albert" and "Maybe I'm Amazed," Ringo's "Back Off Boogaloo," and George's "What Is Life?" and "My Sweet Lord," along with music from "The Concert for Bangladesh."

I spent most of the afternoon after breakfast online. I got off briefly to eat leftovers for a quick lunch and dinner, and to switch on the radio to listen to this afternoon's playoff games. I heard most of the Atlanta-Seattle game. That one was really crazy. The Falcons were kicking rear during the first half, but the Seahawks scored three times in a row during the third quarter. The Falcons finally caught up again in the fourth quarter and got a thrilling last minute field goal to win them the game 30-28.

Rose called me just as I was finishing a short flash fiction piece about a babysitter and her mischievous charge for Helium. She wanted to say "hi" and find out how I was doing after the holidays and how I was faring financially. I'm doing much better. I put a lot of Christmas money my savings account, and I put a little of my last paycheck in there, too. The lack of hours shouldn't hurt me nearly as much as they did last summer and in late November/early December.

Rose's friend Colleen will be coming up to visit later this week. Last year, when Colleen came to visit in January, we all took Khai to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden and had a lot of fun. This time, Rose wants to do something a little more girl-oriented and without her son - see Les Miserables in the theater. I've been dying to see that ever since I first heard it was coming out. A chance to see an awesome musical, in the theater, with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe singing? I don't care if it's really long. It sounds awesome. Rose mentioned possibly seeing it next Saturday.

My other project for today was more personal. I wanted to make a list of everything I needed to discuss with the therapist tomorrow. There was so much to add, I printed out three pages and would have written more if I didn't need to have something for dinner before work. I ate leftover soup while listening to the Patriots-Texans game. The Patriots were winning when I finally headed out.

Work wasn't too bad. It was on-and-off steady when I came in at 6:15, dead to the point of there only being employees left in the store when we closed. I spent most of the night cleaning and tidying up around the registers.

Considering the heavy fog and a busy TV night, I'm surprised we had any customers. In addition to the two football games, the Golden Globes were on tonight. One of the baggers had it on when I was in the back room during my break. I saw the Showtime program Homeland win for best TV drama, Damian Lewis from that show win for Best Supporting Actor in a TV Drama, and poor Paul Rudd and Salma Hayek have an awkward moment when the camera came in before they were ready to announce the TV drama nominees.

(Oh, and much to my annoyance, the Patriots finally pushed past the Texans 41-28. I really hope the Ravens kick their rears next week. They've been to the Super Bowl entirely too much. Let's spread the wealth around.)

The impenetrable fog that had been horrible all night was even worse when I got out around 10:15. It was really scary riding home. I could barely see two feet in front of my face...and the light mist on my glasses didn't help. I was so happy when I finally got home.


No comments: