Monday, January 28, 2013

All for One, and All Up In the Air!

Started a rainy but warmer morning with The Three Musketeers. Those of you who have seen other versions of the famous Alexandre Dumas story know the drill. Young D'Artangan (Logan Lerman) finds himself fighting a duel with the three famous musketeers Porthos (Ray Steveson), Athos (Matthew Macfadyen), and Aramis (Luke Evans) on his first day in Paris. When  he helps them defeat the Cardinals' Guards instead, they come to respect, and then befriend him. Good thing; they need all the help they can get against the rather unusual plots of Cardinal Richileu (Christopher Waltz), Milady DeWinter (Milla Jovovich), and the Duke of Buckingham (Orlando Bloom, cast against type as a wicked rogue).

For the first half of the film, this is actually a fairly straightforward adaptation, more so than the 1993 Disney version with Chris O'Donnell. It's a little goofy, but so's the book at times. It's the second half where things start getting weird. In addition to stealing the Queen's jewels, for some reason, the Cardinal has stolen plans for airships from DaVinci and is determined to make them into warships. Things make a lot less sense from here on in.

I loved it, but I love the lighter 1993 Disney Musketeers, too. If you like your swashbucklers on the goofy side and aren't a literary purist who will be offended by the odd additions, this was a heck of a lot of fun to watch.

Finally made it to Dad's house to do the laundry around quarter of 2. Despite the continuing rain, I had a few errands to run. Thankfully, by the time I was out and about, the rain had taken a brief rest. I went to the post office to sign for my birth certificate. It arrived on Saturday, but the path to my apartment is hard to see, and the mailman must have thought I wasn't home. Since the bank is just two blocks away, I went to PNC to use the ATM machine and get money to pay the therapist tomorrow.

It was 4PM before I finally got home. Dad drove me; it was raining hard again. I had just enough time to put everything away, then write a quick article on romantic gifts for new lovers for Helium and have leftovers for dinner before Dad picked me up for work.

Ironically, after all the fuss on Friday, work ended up being dead for most of the night. I did the few returns that there were, cleaned registers, shelved candy, and organized magazines.

No comments: