Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fairy Tale Highs and Lows

Getting the laundry done was the big chore for today. Thankfully, when I got in around quarter after 10, it wasn't busy at all, just a few older men doing clothes. I read Quiet as Rachel Ray droned on in the background. I had a very small load and was in and out in less than an hour.

When I got home, I called Mom before I even put anything away. I haven't chatted with her in a while. We talked for almost an hour! Mom did start her new job at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. She likes it, but is currently overwhelmed with having to learn three different programs for taking reservations, taking complaints with other operators, and working the ticket booth. Being an introvert like me, she's far happier taking tickets and making reservations on her own than she is taking complaints and having to work with several other people. Though they had some problems with their computers last week, and a lot of people were angry when one of the ferries broke down, generally things seem to have gone well.

She's not as happy with Dad. He's in a lousy mood. One of the boats he was working on also broke down, which means he's working one less boat and is making less income. Dad's credit card bills are through the roof, and he's taking his problems out on everyone within firing range, including Anny and her sons. It doesn't help that Anny is still out of work and they continue to pay for some of her bills. He's alienated everyone around him, including his mother and sister in New York, Anny, her sons, and Mom. I love the family in Cape May County...but I have to admit, one of the reasons I moved up here was to get away from the drama. My transportation difficulties aren't my only reasons for not visiting more often.

Work was surprisingly busy for the middle of the week and the middle of the month, especially once we got into the 4-6 rush hour. I couldn't figure out why until I finished work. There was some kind of event going on in the front parking lot that was drawing a huge crowd. As I rode over, a local country music station was holding raffles. I could hear them calling out numbers. Kids were tossing bean bags into boards with holes in them (and playing with the bean bags). There were hot dogs on a large grill. Two of the Acme college boys were selling bottles of water. I debated getting a hot dog, but decided I didn't want to pay for it (I just bought Oatmeal Squares, which are almost never on sale) and went home.

Good thing I left when I did. I was half-way down the Black Horse Pike when it started to shower lightly. I heard it rained earlier, too. If it did, it didn't rain that hard. It wasn't that wet when I came out, and I don't think I hear rain now. I got home a little damp, but otherwise fine.

I had leftover chicken with leeks and mushrooms and pasta with herbs and butter for dinner while watching more Once Upon a Time. Maybe it's because Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies, but I'm especially enjoying Belle's subplot with Rumpelstiltskin, both in and out of the Enchanted Forest. I've always kind of had a thing for beasts myself. Loved how Belle took on Captain Hook, and how she finally got Mr. Gold to realize that yes, there may just be a little good left in him. I also enjoyed Ruby's backstory, and how she ultimately came to accept the two parts of herself.

No comments: