Sunday, May 04, 2014

Spring Clean-Up

I didn't work until 3 today, so I slept a bit later than I have the past couple of Sundays. I read Hot Ice while I listened to Brunch With the Beatles. Today's theme was one of the more unusual ones - "The Beatles and Other British Invasion Acts." Basically, you get to hear songs from other English rock performers that debuted in America in the wake of the Beatles' original 1964-1965 success. Among those who made up that first wave of "The British Invasion" were Dusty Springfield, the Dave Clark Five, Chad & Jeremy, Garry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, and the Rolling Stones. 

I made Carrot Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. Mom was on her way to the shower from working on the garden. She begins her new job at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry this week, so I won't be calling her on Sundays for a while. She's mostly been catching up on chores after Keefe's visit and Dad being home. I told her about my long week, including Rose's swearing in. I'm proud of her...but I'll admit, I'm a little jealous, too. She's a lawyer. I'm a cashier at a grocery store who hates what she's doing. I wish I could find something like that I would want to do, too, something where people would respect me. And it would have been nice if Dad and Rose gave me a little bit more notice about the swearing in. I hated showing up there in my Acme uniform, with no card or anything for Rose (even if Rose said she didn't really need anything). 

After I let Mom go, I did the dishes, then made the bed. I don't often make the bed. In fact, I can't remember the last time I made the bed. Who's gonna see it? I live alone. When sheets start going missing or getting kicked out from under me, it's time to make the bed. 

When I finished that, I went on the computer to get some things organized. First of all, depending on what my finances are like, I want to take a few more classes later this summer and fall. There's another communications course on how to deal with difficult people, and several on writing. I want to write...but I'm too shy to sell it, and I don't know how to distinguish myself from the crowd, or what else I can do with my skills besides writing. 

I had a quick lunch while listening to the Songs From the Year Of records I bought a few weeks ago. They're just collections of an orchestra playing medleys of songs from a certain year. I did 1917, 1922, 1923, and 1924 today. I ran out of time for 1925 - I'll have to do that one another Sunday. 

Work was very busy all afternoon and evening. It showered a little on my way to work, which didn't help. It was so busy, I had to beg a manager to come in and finish my line when I was done. I just got out under the wire. 

No comments: