Saturday, June 28, 2014

Berry Sweet Summer Harvest

Started a beautiful, sunny day with this week's American Top 40. The late Casey took us back to June 1984, just as I was starting my last few months before entering kindergarten. Hits that summer included "Let's Here It For the Boy" by Denise Williams and "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Anne Wilson from the Footloose soundtrack, "Oh Sherrie" by Steve Perry, "Borderline" by Madonna, "Legs" by ZZ Top, "Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol, "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper, "The Heart of Rock N' Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News, "Self Control" by Laura Branigan, "Jump (For Your Love)" by The Pointer Sisters, and "When Doves Cry" by Prince and the Revolution. British dance band Duran Duran had one of their biggest hits in the #1 spot for the first of two weeks, "The Reflex."

(Sigh. And a final sign off to Casey Kasem, who passed away on the 15th. I'm glad WOGL does these re-runs - it's given me a second chance to get to know Kasem's vocal work beyond his stints as Shaggy Rogers and Rankin-Bass' Peter Cottontail.)

I had to work early today, so I kept my farm market trip short. Even so, it was a nice day for it. This morning was sunny, windy, and dry, without a cloud in the brilliant blue sky. Between the nice weather and Friday being the 4th of July, the Collingswood Farm Market was packed. Peas are on their last week, but I did see the first peaches of the season. I ended up with blueberries, strawberries, cherries, brown mushrooms, a tomato, a cucumber, and my last pint of organic sugar snap peas.

Ran a couple of Max & Ruby episodes when I got home. "Max's Froggy Friend" amuses Max with his antics, but Ruby doesn't want Froggy at her tea party. Max keeps trying to sneak him home anyway. "Max's Music" has Max trying to use his toys as musical instruments, so he can join Ruby's Red-Hot Trio for their concert. "Max Gets Wet" when he wants Ruby to fill up his pool, but she keeps telling him she has to water her plants first.

Work was on-and-off busy for most of the afternoon. I shelved candy during the down times. It was too nice of a day for anyone to be in a bad mood! It slowed down enough by 5 that I was able to shut down without a relief.

I went right into the bath the moment I got home from work. Ahhh. The bath salts I bought at the Acme yesterday smelled so nice. I had a nice, soothing soak, reading the travel guides to Philly and the Pennsylvania Dutch Country I took out of the library on Thursday.

I ate leftovers for dinner while watching Rick Steves. We traveled across Switzerland to four of its loveliest cities. I rather like the Swiss - they have a sensible drug policy that's more concerned with keeping them off the streets than in jail, their capitol city has a river you can float along to where you're going, and they have lovely, stripped-down churches and beautiful covered bridges and (of course) clocks.

No comments: