Sunday, June 08, 2014

Keeping the Music Playing

I was rudely awaken this morning by something going on across the street at the VFW. Someone was making announcements. I have no idea why, or about what. I can't see the VFW from the front of my apartment, and I didn't feel like getting up and going to the back. At any rate, things had quieted down considerably by the time I finally finished 101 Dalmatians.

I made Blueberry Pancakes for breakfast while listening to my record finds from yesterday. I'd never heard of the 60s TV show The Roaring 20s, but it had some really fun music. Dorothy Provine is Pinky, the owner of a speakeasy who passes information on gangland activities to two reporters. The music had nothing to do with any of this. It was a group of medleys of popular songs of the era, from "I'm Lookin' Over a Four Leaf Clover" to "Someone To Watch Over Me." Unlike the similar music on my Atlantic City CD, everything here was pretty well-done, and not too cheesy. Too bad the show seems to be largely forgotten. The soundtrack was really cute.

Put on Frank Sinatra while I cleaned up from breakfast. L.A Is My Lady came out in 1984, well after Frank's 50s-60s heyday...and maybe all the better for it. Although his belting didn't work with Quincy Jones' signature smooth jazz in the title song, others came out very well. I especially liked his lovely, intimate cabaret-style version of "How Can You Keep The Music Playing?"

I went for a walk after Frank ended. It was still sunny out, but hotter and a little more humid than yesterday. Thankfully, a nice breeze kept it from getting unbearable. I went back up to East Clinton for the second day of their street wide yard sale. Alas, it was past 12:30 when I got there. The few remaining yard sales were closing up shop. I took a look at one old man's sale, but he had nothing interesting, so I moved on.

I ended up at Dunkin' Donuts. I picked up a bunch of coupons for them from one of the bags of circulars I get on Fridays. (Sometimes. For some reason, we don't always get them.) I ended up with a medium Vanilla Oreo (Cookies and Cream) Coolatta and a blueberry bagel with cream cheese. They were pretty busy. A family was finishing their coffee at the tables next to me. Older folks came in for coffee after I did. The bagel wasn't bad, but they toasted it, which means the cream cheese melted. They really overdid the cream cheese, too. I'm not normally a big fan of cream cheese anyway, but if I ever ask for it again, I'll get it on the side.

When I got home, I had a salad to add vitamins to my bagel lunch while listening to Steely Dan. The record was just about finished when it was time for me to head off to work. Work was very busy for most of the night; we were short on help, too. I had no relief and just barely got off on time.

1 comment:

Linda said...

My mom and dad used to watch The Roaring 20s. (Heck, my dad remembered the Roaring 20s!) 1961, I think, or 1962? On wayyyyyy after my bedtime in those days.