Sunday, July 12, 2015

Only a Moment Ago

Since I wasn't working until 1, I had the time to really make a decent breakfast for a change. The last couple of strawberries from the sale at the Acme on Fourth of July weekend were starting to get mushy. I cut them up, boiled them in water and sugar, and made strawberry syrup. It sure tasted good over Blueberry Pancakes and the last of the Cocoa Whipped Topping I made for the cupcakes yesterday. Yummy. Summery and oh soo sweet.

Spent the rest of the morning listening to Broadway cast album CDs and catching up on my writing notes. I had 20 pages of random loose papers I'd jotted story ideas down on at work sitting in my notebook! I pretty much have all of Scott White and the Seven Actors worked out. I have most of The Little Mer-Betty and some of Hilary and the Beast. I've just worked out the casting for Victor's King Arthur story - that one may need more research on Arthurian stories before I can get more into it.

I thought this hot, fairly humid day was a good time to catch up on my Broadway shows set around summer or summer resorts. The 1971 revival of No, No, Nanette floated into New York on a wave of early-mid 20th century nostalgia and became the surprise hit of the season. Ruby Keeler, Helen Gallagher, Bobby Van, and Jack Gilford headline this tale of a flapper whose guardian gives her 500 hundred dollars, which upsets her sweetheart. Her guardian is also "helping" three women, but his lawyer ends up taking the heat, much to his wife's annoyance. Actually, my favorite number from this was written for the show but ultimately cut before it reached Broadway. Jack Gilford and Ruby Keeler encapsulate what nostalgia means to so many people in the sweet "Only a Moment Ago."

Steel Pier wasn't nearly as much fun as Nanette and didn't get as lucky on Broadway. The story of a marathon dancer in the early 30's whose partner is a pilot who is a lot more otherworldly than he seems was just too complicated and bizarre to really work. I do like the well-done Atlantic City atmosphere (some real-life AC landmarks, like Fralinger's Candy, are mentioned) and some of the music, especially "Willing to Ride" and "Everybody's Girl."

Work was busy when I came in, and had apparently been busy in the morning. Even as early as 2, the crowds had gone off to barbecues and ball games. We were once again on-and-off steady for the rest of the day. There were no major problems, and it was so quiet by 6:30, I was able to shut down with no relief and no need for one.

No comments: