Thursday, July 02, 2015

Yankee Doodle Rain

It was raining when I got up this morning. It continued as I cleaned the bathroom. I put it off last week to write, but I couldn't put it off any longer. The whole room was really grungy. I'll see if I can get the kitchen, which is also a mess, done tomorrow.

The rain ended around 10; it was just starting again when I arrived at work. Needless to say, between the weather, some huge sales, and this being the beginning of the month, we were busy all day. Thankfully, the upcoming holiday had generally put people in decent moods. There were no major problems, and my relief was one of the few older women who work late and is usually dependable.

As soon as I got home, I went straight in the bath. Ahhhhh. I badly needed a bath. I haven't had a bath in a while. I know this is going to be a busy weekend. I won't be having my next day off until at least Tuesday, and that for counseling. I listened to my Rosemary Clooney 16 Most Requested Songs CD I bought last month and looked over cake decorating books for ideas for the Fourth of July.

When I got out of the bath, I made scrambled eggs with spinach, mushrooms, cheese, and the last chicken sausage while finishing Yankee Doodle Dandy, which I started this morning. James Cagney won an Oscar as George M. Cohan, stage star of the early 20th century who acted, produced, directed, and wrote plays and musicals. Today, he's best known for writing frequently patriotic-flavored songs that are still beloved today, including "Over There," "You're a Grand Old Flag," "Harrigan," "Mary's a Grand Old Name," and the title number.

What I like about this movie is, even though the biography is far from accurate (Cohan was still alive at the time and had the final ok on what could and couldn't be discussed), the musical numbers do capture the flavor and essence of the early 1900's. The "Little Johnny Jones" medley are my favorites - I feel like this is the closest I'll ever get to seeing a real musical from Cohan's time. If you're a fan of Cagney, Cohan's music, or theatrical history, this one is a stirring bit of musical patriotism that's highly recommended.

No comments: