Monday, May 16, 2016

It's Temporarily Sunny In Philadelphia

I slept in this morning, finishing off the novelization of The Force Awakens. (Which wasn't bad, by the way. I really wish they'd kept the scene that details how Poe got back to the Resistance. Considering in the movie he's suddenly dead, then suddenly not, that would have been nice.) When I did get up, I had a quick breakfast while listening to another K-Tel late 70's collection. Those are so fun. They're like the original Rhino Have a Nice Day albums.

Didn't make it to the laundromat until nearly 12:30. They were busy as heck when I got in. Thankfully, they gradually cleared out as I worked on my story notes. By the time I was loading my clothes into a dryer, it was still a little busy, but not nearly as much as before.

I guess everyone wanted to get out before the next round of bad weather hit. It was beautiful today, sunny and in the mid-60's when you could escape the constant and chilly wind. I had a couple of errands to run after I put away the clothes. Started with lunch at Capitol Pizza. Since it was 2 by then, it was just me, the pizza guys, and talk shows on the TV. I had my usual slice of cheese and slice of mushroom with a can of Diet Pepsi. I thought about eating outside, but I was afraid my pizza would end up blowing away.

Next stop was the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session there. They were training a couple of new volunteers, so there wasn't much for me to do. I organized the kids' DVDs and shelved new releases, an audio book, and two CDs.

I want to concentrate on writing this week, so I skipped taking out movies. I did grab a pile of books, though. I thought I'd give the kids' section a whirl, given how hard it often is for me to find anything I like in the adult fiction shelves. They just got the newest American Girl historical story in, about 60's-era Detroit lass Melody Ellison, No Ordinary Sound. A trio of comic kid-oriented retellings of the original Star Wars trilogy came out last year. I found the one for Return of the Jedi, Beware the Power of the Dark Side. I really enjoyed Princess Academy when I read it two years ago and was delighted to discover it has sequels. I took out the first, Palace of Stone. Also found an interesting modern version of East of the Sun and West of the Moon, Ice.

Made a really quick stop at Dollar Tree for sponges on the way home. Surprisingly, despite it being rush hour, they weren't busy at all. They didn't even have a line. I was in and out.

Worked on writing for the next couple of hours. As Wicket and Leia return to the village, they discover that the Ewoks have brought home something for dinner...namely Lando, Luke, Chewie, and Arthur. Luke and Leia try to get Cecil to use his newly-discovered god status to get the Ewoks to let them go. The Skywalker siblings work together to get Cecil in the air and gain the Ewoks' aid.

Spent the rest of the evening playing LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga while I ate leftovers for dinner. I don't know why everyone online says this is so easy. It must have taken me a half-hour alone just to come in first in the pod race, and even then, I barely won. (But that's actually kind of true to the movie.) I can't seem to manage the Jedi double jump. I'll either jump over the object, or jump and then fall off. I guess my poor hand-eye coordination just isn't up to it. I did "Retake Theed Palace" so poorly, I'm just going to start over the next time I play.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh, I loved NO ORDINARY SOUND! I thought it was much better than the Maryellen books.