Friday, May 27, 2016

Stories and Supermen

I awoke to a phone call. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in at noon? They'd had call-outs and were busy. Not at noon, but I'd go in at 1. I wanted some time to write.

And as soon as I finished breakfast, I was on the computer and working on my story. Han and Leia lead a battalion of Ewoks to the drawbridge. They almost have it open when they're cornered by the Imperial soldiers. The Ewoks have fled, but Han and Leia have nowhere to run. The soldiers take Han away, while Boba Fett knocks Leia out and brings her to the King himself.

Palapatine, delighted to finally have his bride, has his own plans for the feisty young woman. While she's unconscious, he makes a black wedding gown (inspired by this gown on Pinterest) appear on her and reads her mind. He's incensed that Leia has become affianced to another at first...but then decides he can use her love to his advantage, thanks to a certain magic mirror he owns...

I got off just in time to eat a quick lunch before heading to work. After I finished Willow, I started my annual Memorial Day marathon of wartime shorts with the 40's Paramount Superman cartoons. Despite some Japanese stereotypes, "Eleventh Hour" is my favorite of these. The story, about Superman sabotaging the Japanese, is surprisingly mature for an animated short, and there's some wonderful, shadowy animation.

As it turned out, I was in the register all day. They'd had call-outs, and they were just busy. I still don't like cashiering, but at least they had a good reason. There really were long lines for most of the afternoon, up until people started going to their parties and barbecues around 5. At least my day went fast. Thankfully, they were able to get one of the college kids in for me when my shift was done. (Honestly, I don't know why I had the Friday before Memorial Day off in the first place.)

Walked to Tu Se Bella's for dinner as soon as I finished. They're an Italian restaurant and gourmet pizza parlor in the shopping center behind the Acme. They always have the Camden County area's most creative pizza toppings on display, and tonight was no exception. I had a slice of cheese, a slice of spinach and tomatoes with chicken on white, and a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper. Yum. The chicken slice was messy and hard to pick up. I eventually ate the chicken off most of it. It still tasted really good, though. Surprisingly for dinnertime, they weren't that busy. I was easily able to snag the table in the front window by the counter and watch all the shoppers stroll by.

I didn't have that big of a grocery order this week. I wanted to restock chicken, but those buy-one, get-one-and-two deals were too much for me. I settled on ground chicken. Bought bananas and peaches for fruit this week. (I'll get strawberries and vegetables tomorrow at the farm market.) Restocked canned chicken, diced tomatoes, mandarin oranges, peanut butter, brown sugar, buttermilk, and trash bags. Treated myself to the Acme's natural brand Caramel Butter Pecan ice cream for a treat.

When I got home, I put everything away, then ate butter pecan ice cream while watching two more Superman wartime shorts. Superman's hearing "Jungle Drums" when he has to rescue Lois from the Nazis, who are inciting stereotypical natives to burn her to death. In the last short made (and the only one not to feature Lois Lane), a beautiful "Secret Agent" has to get to Washington with paper that could incriminate a top spy ring. Superman does everything he can to protect her.

Oh, and I got my schedule for this week as well. Pretty much exactly the same as last week, only with two early days. Same days off, Tuesday and Friday. Hopefully, this time, I'll actually be able to keep both my days off. I really want to get my story finished, and I must get the cleaning done before Lauren visits in mid-June.

No comments: