Sunday, November 26, 2017

Gonna Fly Now

Awoke to a lovely, sunny morning. Listened to one of my Christmas record sets while eating Cranberry Spice Pancakes for breakfast. Wanted to use the dried cranberries from the bread on something. Yum! They came out very nicely, moist and sweet, and for once, cooked perfectly.

I bought Home for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's supposed to be a three-record set, but the box I found at a thrift shop only came with two of them. The gold Columbia Treasury labels indicate that this may have been a 70's re-release, despite most of the music being instrumental orchestral numbers and a few vocal selections from the 50's and 60's.

Did a little bit of writing before heading off to work. Work was very busy when I arrived at noon. We couldn't keep the carts full, even with two people outside. Then the Eagles game started at 1, and...that was that. The Eagles dominated the Bears full-stop, from the first quarter to the final seconds of the fourth, ultimately flattening them 31-3. We were dead for the rest of the day. I gathered baskets and carts and did some returns, but I was mostly trying to look busy.

Texted Jodie during break; she said they had ham for dinner. I rode over to their house as soon as work ended. They already have their Christmas decorations up around their windows! Even I haven't gotten that far yet.

Rose had already left with her brood, due to Finley's ongoing cold, but Jessa and most of the neighbors were still around. I ate a ham sandwich, tasty macaroni and cheese Rose made, and leftovers from Jodie and Dad's Thanksgiving dinner. Watched a few more games with Dad and Jessa while Jodie and the neighbors dealt with the remaining kids. The Rams just managed to push past the Saints 26-20. The Raiders had a rougher time with their western rivals the Broncos, finally beating them 21-14.

We're doing the Secret Santa again on this side of the family. There's just too many people here to shop for! I didn't know the person I got actually had so many things they wanted. I could actually find at least two of them at work.

There was a big canister of cookies sitting on the kitchen table when I arrived. I think someone may have given it to them on Thanksgiving. Neither of them liked coconut or enjoyed the Italian-style cookies, so they gave it to me. I love coconut and coconut macaroons, and I've always liked the Italian cookies that the Acme sells.

Finally finished out Beauties and the Frogs when I got home. Leia and the girls have kissed their frogs, revealing their true forms - that of King Han of Alderaan and the three princes whose countries he had asked for aid. Kylo Ren was jealous of the princes, whom he believed Han had brought to the kingdom to replace him.

Leia still loves her son, but she feels that he'll never grow up or learn anything if they continue to coddle him. She banishes him, Hux, and Mitaka, telling them to find nice girls with no titles and learn a real trade that doesn't involve evil magic. The trio ultimately become rather obnoxious and combative thieves.

Leia, Han, and Luke return to Alderaan with the princes and princesses in tow, finding the barricades gone and the First Order Clan defeated. The young people court each other and wed, with Finn and Rey taking over Alderaan and Bespin after Han and Leia step down. Han and Leia remain together, with Luke by their side, for the rest of their lives.

Whew! That one ended up a lot more complicated than I'd hoped. The next story is also going to be a short fantasy novella, this time a version of Babes In Toyland. I'll be starting that tomorrow evening, after work.

Currently, Beauties and the Frogs can only be found on Archive of Our Own. I'll be posting it elsewhere tomorrow:

Beauties and the Frogs - Archive of Our Own

Finished the night online, watching YouTube. I found the original long version of the infamous 1986 TV Babes In Toyland that's actually a bit of an influence on the one I'm going to work on next, since I plan on opening and closing with a wrap-around sequence set in a fictional Philadelphia department store in 1986. At any rate, here's the original, uncut Babes In Toyland.

Full Babes In Toyland (1986)

No comments: