Sunday, December 17, 2017

Rumble at the New Meadowlands

Began a sort-of cloudy morning with pancakes for breakfast. Attempted apple-cinnamon again. Thankfully, I actually paid attention to them this time and added the egg. They came out beautifully, just hearty enough.

Listened to my soundtrack for John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together while I ate. I really wish the John Denver/Muppets holiday specials would show up somewhere. This soundtrack is still considered a classic, from the hilarious opening rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" to Miss Piggy and a couple of Muppets really getting into "Christmas Is Coming." Denver's best solo moment is the touching "Noel: Christmas Eve 1913," on the famous incident of a holiday truce between British and German soldiers during World War I.

Had just enough time left to get a little bit of writing in. Poe takes them upstairs to meet the Toymaker and Barnaby Snoke. Barnaby Snoke is Snoke from the department store in a slick black suit and cape. The Toymaker is Luke Weston, wearing worker's clothes and looking weary. Snoke wants to buy the factory and destroy it. He thinks it'll be a better home for his Knights of Ren and their weapons. Luke just wants to make children happy.

Went right to work after I got off. Work was still really busy when I got in, but the game was just starting. By 2 PM, it had died so quickly, I could do outside trash and recycling with no trouble. While I would eventually do the inside trash as well, I spent most of the rest of the day outside rounding up carts...including the last ten minutes, by which time we were so dead, there wasn't really anything to gather. There was plenty of help, and other than I don't know why they sent me outside for those ten minutes, no trouble whatsoever.

The Eagles weren't as lucky. They played terribly in the first half, against a Giants squad that's even worse. It wasn't the fault of backup quarter back Nick Foles, who actually did quite well. The Eagles' defense just isn't that great. As usual, they came back in the second half, enough to finally win 34-29, despite some tense moments at the very end where the Giants kept trying to score. And not only did they win, but they now have the advantage of a first-round bye, or getting to skip the first week of playoffs and have an extra week of rest.

Headed to Dad and Jodie's after I picked up cream cheese icing for cupcakes and frozen vegetables that were on sale. While Jodie heated up tacos for me, I chatted with Jessa, her boyfriend Joe, and his kids. Jessa offered to take me to see a movie on Christmas Day, since Joe has to work (he works at Lincoln Financial Stadium and the Eagles play that evening). While I do really want to see The Greatest Showman with Hugh Jackman (PT Barnum musical starring Wolverine - and it's an original? I can get behind that,) I'm truly dying to see The Last Jedi. I don't care what the fans think. I want more Star Wars.

I finalized my Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plans with Dad and Jodie after everyone else left. Same deal as last year. I'll be going to their house on Christmas Eve for their big party, then back there the next morning for brunch with the family and to open presents. Jessa and I will hit the movies after we finish with them. Jodie and Dad also talked about visiting me sometime after Christmas next week to see my tree and chat. It's very rare that I have visitors, so I'd love that.

We switched back and forth between a couple of late games while we talked. We had high hopes for the Steelers-Patriots game. They're the best teams in the AFC, and no one wants the Patriots to go to the Super Bowl yet again. Though the Steelers played very well, they got out-run at the last minute and just barely lost 27-24. The Seahawks didn't do nearly as well against their West Coast rivals the Rams, who rammed them into the Pacific 42-7.

Came home and went into the shower. Enjoyed records for the rest of the evening after I got out, partly to drown out Charlie cursing loudly at one of his dogs for doing something naughty downstairs. Started with the Peter Pan kids' record Holly-Daze. These are four really cute Looney Tunes holiday tales, all with voices by Mel Blanc. Bugs becomes "Bugs the Red-Nosed Bunny" in the first story when Rudolph comes down with a cold. He and Daffy help Elmer cure his Santa "Claustrophobia" in the second. He thinks he is the big man in red. "Holly-Daze" has Bugs and Granny visiting the tiny desert town Holly and helping Yosemite Sam catch bank robbers. "'Twas a Sight Before Christmas" when Bugs' nephew Junior claims he doesn't believe in Santa Claus. Bugs interviews a couple of the other Toons to change his mind.

Ended the night with a short Peter Pan version of A Christmas Carol and a couple of Great Songs of Christmas records. As far as I can tell, this is a series of holiday collections Columbia put out during the 50's and 60's ala the True Value Hardware Happy Holidays sets. Most of the three records I listened to were instrumental numbers or opera singers (including Mahalia Jackson), but Mary Martin did a lovely "Silent Night," and Doris Day could be heard on "Toyland."

2 comments:

Linda said...

THE LAST JEDI has gotten really good reviews, so I don't know what fans have said what about it. "Entertainment Weekly" gave it a B+ and said the only problem was that the middle third seemed a bit draggy. Even George Lucas liked it. We're going to see it on the 30th. Unfortunately I was already spoiled. :-(

Emma said...

I can't say what has them upset without going into spoilers (for anyone else who hasn't been yet), but I think it has a lot to do with how the older characters were treated, and the fact that Kylo Ren is incredibly divisive and the movie apparently focuses a lot on him. I think people are being silly. Can't you just enjoy the movie for what it is? I intend to do just that, thank you, and I hope you guys do too, Linda. :)