Sunday, February 11, 2007

On Valentine's Day

It's been a long time. I really should update this blog more often, but it's not as easy to sign into a blog every night as it is to reach over to your nightstand and grab a journal and start writing. I forget; I put things off. I shouldn't do those things, but I do. I'm not used to people worrying about me.

But today's writing is on the prompt at the Writing Perc Yahoo!Group. One of those prompts was to write about Valentine's Day.

Do you celebrate it?

Yes, I do. I love holidays of any kind. It's nice just to do something special every once in a while. You'd think I wouldn't be interested. I don't have a boyfriend, and I'm really nervous about dating again after not having dated in three years. (Which is why I haven't done anything with my e-Harmony account.) I just love any excuse to do something different and enjoy myself.

What's so great about it?

For a single person? The chance to show friends and family that they can be loved, too...and half-off boxes of chocolate the size of Australia on February 15th. Baking cakes the shape of pink hearts for your sister. Your mother making you home-made valentines. Nobody teases you when you indulge your girly side, with lacy hearts and cutie-pie cupids everywhere.

What could/should be changed?

Many people I know, whether single or attached, are very cynical about this holiday. "It's an excuse to buy candy and cards!" Why does it have to be? Make your loved one dinner. Make them valentines instead of buying them, like my mom mentioned she's doing for her family. Bake a heart-shaped cake or cookies. Buy them their favorite book or CD and have a long discussion about why you love that band or singer or author.

You don't even have to be much of a romantic to be loved. If your significant other isn't the candy and flowers type, go on a walk in the woods or on the beach and hold hands. Buy or rent a movie you both like and share a big bowl of popcorn. Go for a car or motorcycle ride, just the two of you. If you're more athletic, go ice skating or sledding or hiking or skiing together. Just spending time with your sweetheart means more than all the chocolate and roses in the world.

No comments: