Saturday, February 17, 2007

Turner Classic Rock

Here's something I wouldn't expect to see on Turner Classic Movies. They're covering "Oscar Winning and/or Nominated Scores" tonight, and among those running are the infamous 1975 Kurt Russell version of "Tommy."

Come to think of it, I wouldn't expect to see the movies running before ("A River Runs Through It" isn't really a classic - it's from 1992!) or after ("Shaft," "Sleuth") "Tommy" on TCM, either. Glad to see them trying to diversify their audience...

I like "Tommy" (I'm listening to the original album version as I type this), but let me say this is DEFINATELY not for the squemish, young kids (and some older ones), and anyone who isn't a fan of classic rock to begin with. It's massively strange. Fun if you like the Who, but very, very strange. I'm not exactly sure how Ann-Margaret got nominated for this - it still recieves mixed reviews to this day and it's hard for anyone to cut through Russell's excess. (This man accidentally started a fire in an English pier...then got everyone out and filmed the burning building for the movie!)

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=152705&mainArticleId=152700

No comments: