Thursday, August 14, 2008

Adventures In the Imagination

I enjoyed a rare chance to sleep in today. After a simple breakfast of summer fruit compote and yogurt, I went to the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session. I did the children's DVDs again and started the adult CDs, neither of which stay in order for very long. Actually, the children's DVDs weren't TOO bad. Most of the right letters were together, but the series were out of order. It looks so much better when all of the Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine episodes are together, not to mention every copy of Happy Feet and the recent version of Charlotte's Web. I wound up taking out for CDs (Bon Jovi, Lynyrd Skyard, jazz musician Jamie Cullum, and the soundrack of Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird) and two animated DVDs, The Backyardigans: High Flying Adventures and Strawberry Shortcake: Let's Dance.

I made a few quick stops on the way home. I took a brief look at the new fall decorations at JoAnn's (I'm hoping to get some more Thanksgiving decorations - I have plenty for fall in general and Halloween) and at Super Fresh to see if they had any chocolate chips or cooking spray on sale. Nope, and nothing was cheaper than the Acme, so I left there. Next stop was Dollar Tree, where I bought a small container of floss, a water bottle, and a coloring/activity book for my vacation next month. I stopped at the little bagel shop a few doors down in the same mall and had a pizza bagel and French fries, then went across the street to Rite Aid for travel-sized mouth wash and Sensodyne toothpaste and a pack of crayons (they were $.50!).

After I got in and put everything away, I went over to Uncle Ken's to do my laundry. Dad and Uncle Ken was just relaxing when I got in. Dad had worked on watering the plants earlier, and Uncle Ken was getting over being sick. No one else was home. (Jodie came in about twenty minutes before I left.) I went for a swim in the pool. It was chillier than last week, thanks to the chilly weather earlier this week. I let my swim go a little longer than usual on my own. I suspect we may be down to our last few weeks with swimming. The weather may get a little warmer, but I don't think it's going to stay that way as long or as often as it did earlier this summer.

I watched The Backyardigans during dinner. It's amazing what this show comes up with. One episode had pink-bug-like Uniqua as a pilot delivering singing telegrams to Pablo the Penguin Pirate, Tasha the Indian Hippo Queen, and Tyrone the Abominable Moose-man to the tune of 50s doo-wop. Another episode had heights-fearing Tasha and ever-brave Uniqua delivering pizza to Aztec king Tyrone in ancient Mexico while singing college fight songs. Another was a Night at the Museum style story where Security Guard Tyrone found himself in a game of tag with moving artworks Uniqua, Austin, and Pablo while doing flamenco.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've just started watching the Backyardigans before work thanks to Nick changing the schedule (except I only get to see half the episode. I would record it on the DVR but my roommates would think I'm crazy). I kind of love it! The music is amazing, and I get a kick out of all the characters. Pablo and Tyrone are my favorites :D

I love Jaime Cullum too.