Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our Bi-Weekly Bread

Long lines and lots of stress made my very busy work day a pain in the rear. As usual, people just don't read the signs or look at the fliers. One woman kept insisting that she could only buy $200 worth of food...when she had at least $300 in her cart. Does anyone learn how to count anymore? Half a cart's worth of food had to be put back,including cold items. AND she held up the darn line getting another cart for what she did buy!

One of the advantages of working earlier is getting off earlier. I was able to spend the rest of a quiet afternoon baking bread, catching up with family on the phone, and going for a walk in the neighborhood. I finally got a hold of Rose. She's happy - she had a great time in Costa Rica - but very busy. She's returning to Rutgers Law School tomorrow and she has a million things to do. She wants to go visit the family in Cape May County sometime before I go on vacation, and we both need new driver's licenses and non-driver's IDs. I need to get my hair cut, too.

I called Mom after calling Rose. Mom was in a much better mood this time. She was in the midst of dinner; cooking usually helps her mood. Or maybe it was because my stepfather was going fishing tomorrow, or because my nephew will be finally returning to day care next month (and one closer to his mother's job).

I decided to try a Swedish rye bread recipe out of one of my 50s cookbooks. While that rose the first time, I had a simple, light dinner of spinach salad with sliced chicken breast. While it rose the second time, I went down the street to treat myself to frozen yogurt from Leo's Yum Yums, since we weren't able to get any yesterday. Despite the windy, lovely night, it dripped faster than the last time I had a cone, but I managed to finish it before it made a mess.

Oh, and by the way, I finally baked the rye bread tonight and it came out beautifully. I really love making bread. It's so therapeutic, kneading and turning the dough. And it's something you made, something that's good for you and tastes a thousand times better than anything off of a shelf.

No comments: