Saturday, August 02, 2008

In the Swim

It was raining when I got up this morning, but that passed quick enough that I was able to make it to the Farm Market for the first time in two weeks. (And the last time for the next two weeks - I work too early to make it next Saturday.) I might have skipped it if I hadn't needed so much. I bought bread, blueberries, peaches, green leaf lettuce, leeks, carrots, celery, mushrooms, a red onion, fresh Colby cheese from a dairy booth, and the first New Jersey blackberries of the season. I then raced home, put everything away, threw together lunch, changed, and went to work.

(It's probably just as well that I only saw one yard sale today on the way to work and there wasn't anything interesting at it. I didn't really have the time.)

Work was busy, probably due to it being the beginning of the month, but we had plenty of help, my relief was on time, and there were no problems.

Jodie came through my line while I was at work and invited me over to Dad's for a small family barbecue. I'd wanted a swim anyway, so I accepted her invitation. After slicing the carrots into sticks and watching a few episodes of Tiny Toons, I changed into my bathing suit and walked over. Our cousin Jim and his son C.J were already there, keeping an eye on C.J as he practiced his favorite pastime - golf! He doesn't have a bad swing for a just-two-year-old.

I was the only one in the pool today, though Jessa sat on the side and chatted with me for a while. I don't know why. The pool was a little bit cooler than the last time I went in, but it still felt great, especially since today wasn't quite as hot but still really humid. It was cloudy on and off all day and actually rained a little bit while I was in the pool, but hasn't rained since then, as far as I know.

Jodie got the grill going and cooked up steak, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, cole slaw, corn on the cob, cucumber salad, and baked beans for all of us and two friends of Jodie's and Dad's. We ate and watched the Pixar film Cars with C.J. (Apparently, cars are his other obsession.)

No comments: