Sunday, August 10, 2008

What People Do On A Rainy Day

It was cool and cloudy when I headed to work around 10 for today's shift. Work was steady until about half-way through, when the dark clouds burst and cleared everyone out. It rained off and on for the rest of the day. I got very lucky and managed to get home during an "off" period, waiting for just a few minutes after buying ice cream, celery, and carrots. (I ran out of carrot and celery sticks. I bring those to work as part of my work meal, and they're great snacks at home, too. The ice cream was to use to top the brownies I made on Friday.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Get Smart episodes (I'm now on the beginning of the fourth disk), calling Mom, and making bread. I wasn't able to call Mom in the morning and did it right after I got home. She, Dad, and Keefe were in the midst of playing the new Mario Kart Wii game...and Dad and Keefe were in the midst of one of their eternal macho posturing battles. Poor Mom. She'd been listening to them all afternoon, since they had the same off-and-on weather we did.

(Lauren later revealed during a chat that she was having the off-and-on rain in New England, too.)

I haven't been able to make bread since May. I didn't want to turn my apartment into a sauna. It was so cool today I thought I might be able to get away with a simple recipe...and I was right. I made the Wheat, Molasses, and Oat loaf tonight, without it getting to hot in here. The loaf is cooling on the table in the dining section of my living room now.

No comments: