Thursday, November 18, 2010

Balance Is a Mystery

Began a sunny, windy morning with this week's yoga class. With far fewer people in the class this week than last week, we had plenty of room to work on balancing poses and flexibility. I'm still trying to do a full wheel. Karin helped a lot.

Next stop was the Collingswood Library for this week's volunteering session there. Collingswood's Storybook Hour ended about ten minutes after I arrived, and I found myself swamped with kids looking for Go Diego Go! and Shark's Tale. After they left, I organized the DVDs. There wasn't much there, so I spent some time upstairs after that.

Instead of going straight home after I left the Library, I rode to Oaklyn's City Hall. I figured the best way to find out information on what was going on with the Oaklyn Library was to go right to the top. A secretary in the front of City Hall told me the Library closing was a police matter and to talk to them.

I went downstairs and under City Hall to Oaklyn's only police station. The operator in the front room wasn't much more helpful. All she could tell me was that the police had closed the Library and that it would be closed while they conducted their investigation.

Made a brief stop at Dad and Uncle Ken's next. First of all, I did want to see Dad, who just got home from a long work trip last week. He was blowing leaves out of the driveway when I passed by.

Second, yes, I wanted to ask Uncle Ken about the library. He knows everyone and everything in Oaklyn. Alas, he's been busy with his roof and hadn't been paying attention to much else. I didn't get anything new from him.

Finally headed home after that. Dad wasn't the only one who wanted to get the leaves out of his yard today. I had a turkey sandwich for lunch, then went outside and did the raking. The wild wind we had over the weekend had left ankle-deep piles of leaves in the front yard and side path. It was still windy, but not as bad as earlier in the week. The wind was only a problem when I was doing the side path, as that's when I was raking into it.

I rested for about 40 minutes or so after I finished the yard. Watched the Bowery Boys movie Hard Boiled Mahoney and looked through the vintage Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I found the other day.

Hard Boiled Mahoney is the first of two Bowery Boys film noir spoofs, and is an oddity in their cannon for several reasons. First of all, it's the only time Gabriel Dell is seen as part of the gang in the Bowery Boys series, and he's a glasses-wearing nerd that's a far cry from his usual smooth, job-changing charmer. I believe this may be one of the first times we see Louie, the little sweet shop owner, as well. It's also the first of two times the boys tangle with phony mediums.

Work was on-and-off busy for most of the night, though it did die down a bit later. Other than some annoying customers, there were no major problems.

No comments: