Friday, November 19, 2010

Woman At Work

Yes, I spent the majority of today at work. Not surprisingly, given that we're less than a week from Thanksgiving, it was very busy for most of the day. Lots of people were buying their turkeys and canned goods, or getting ready for the late Eagles game on Sunday. There were quite a few big orders, people hoping to dodge the crowds next week.

A man came in to fix the register I was in shortly after I finished my break and I had to move to the next one, but other than that, there were no major problems. I was in early to pick up my paycheck, and my relief was on time.

Good thing, too. I had quite a bit of shopping to do. I don't make a huge Thanksgiving dinner, but I do make bread for after dinner and the next morning. I stocked up on white and brown sugar, pumpkin, Marsala cooking wine, Fiber One granola bars (my favorites!), chicken tenders, stew meat, Acme's generic light yogurt, and Red Star Yeast.

I was going to go to the bank tonight after I got home from work, but by the time I finally got home, it was too late. I put my groceries away, then decided to change the American Girls and Sailor Soldiers into their holiday outfits.

The American Girls came first. Samantha got her deep red Cranberry Christmas Dress with the stockings that came with them, a huge white ribbon, and a shiny pair of Springfield Collection black slip-ons. Molly has her Evergreen Velvet Dress, white Springfield Collection tights, and black velvet slip-ons. I debated putting Jessa in the red Springfield Collection bolero dress Mom gave me for my birthday, but I finally opted for the AG Chinese New Year outfit with socks and the other pair of shiny slip ons. Felicity is the only one who doesn't really have a Christmas outfit. She's wearing a long yellow hand-made gown I originally bought for Samantha several years ago. It's not really very Colonial, but the only other dress I have for her is the green floral hand-made, and I think that one's a bit ugly.

I experimented a bit with the Sailor Soldiers. The ruffled collar on Sailor Moon's pink polka-dot gown is ripping off the bodice. I pulled out one of the short Ice Capades Barbie skating outfits and paired it with a white ruffled skirt with a pink petticoat and a white sequin-trimmed fur stole. From a distance, it looks like a full gown, and the stole hides the fact that the skating outfit is a bit low-cut. Sailor Mars and Sailor Venus got vintage Barbie gowns from yard sales. Sailor Neptune got a very tight, sparkly backless royal blue gown. Chibi-Moon wears her shimmering pink Barbie tutu. (On her, it's a short gown - she's about the size of a Skipper.) Villainess Wicked Lady gets a metalic silver-and-gray sheath dress with a big rose in front and her own pink stole. Queen Serenity wears what I believe to be an early 90s Happy Birthday Barbie gown. Uranus wears a short black-and-silver "mushroom skirt" dress with a velvet bodice and a black sequined bolero jacket. Only Mercury and Jupiter kept their dollar-store gowns this year.

Tuxedo Mask is the only one I don't have any holiday clothes for, but he kind of comes dressed for the holiday anyway. I don't often see Ken clothes around. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Oh, and I got a surprisingly good schedule next week, especially compared to what I worked at this time last year. Three days off, including Thanksgiving. One late day, Wednesday, and one long day, Black Friday. That doesn't bother me. I always work early and long on Black Friday. Most of the mothers and grandmothers who work in the mornings on weekdays probably take that day off to do their Christmas shopping. The extra time off will be nice, too. I'll get the bread done and be able to do my cleaning and get started on the Christmas decorating next weekend.

No comments: