Sunday, November 28, 2010

"But the Prettiest Sight To See Is the Holly That'll Be On Your Own Front Door..."

Today dawned cold and clear again, but without the wind that made yesterday's chill so bitter. I wanted to stay under my warm blankets and read the Candy Shop Mystery Peppermint Twisted, but breakfast beckoned.

Finally got going at about 10, just in time for Brunch With the Beatles. They were honoring George Harrison today, who died around this time in late November 2001. My favorite of George's Beatles-era songs are his contributions to The White Album and Abbey Road, especially "Something" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." By far my favorite of his solo efforts of the 70s and 80s is his bouncy tribute to John Lennon after the latter's tragic death in 1981, "All Those Years Ago." I grabbed two of my Beatles WebKinz, John the Ginger Cat and George the Black Panther, and just danced 'round and 'round the music area.

I made Pumpkin Pancakes for breakfast. Called Mom around 11. She sounded tired, and I'm not surprised. She works at the Michael's in Rio Grande, and they were a heck of a lot busier this weekend than the Acme was! She really loved my Cranberry-Orange Bread and said she ate most of it herself.

After breakfast and the Beatles ended, I inaugurated the 2010-2011 Holiday Season by bringing the Santa Bag and nativity out of the back room. The Santa Bag is a bright red felt bag I use to store items that are either too large or awkward to fit in the containers with the decorations, or things I want to put up right away. It's always the first thing I pull out and the last thing to be put away.

I hung my big green wreath with the red bow jauntily on the side and the glittery gold stars. I put my gritty, realistic old Nativity scene on the top of the white plastic stackable shelves. The Ferreo Rocher plastic bell filled with real jingling bells went next to the TV. (I got the bell filled with chocolates from a cousin one Christmas. It was too cool to get rid of, so I put real bells from Dollar General in it and used it as a decoration.) Hung the mistletoe over the front door and put the green and red poinsettia placemats on the table. The old red, white, and green pot holder coasters my sisters and I made for Mom years ago were scattered around the living area, wherever people can put drinks.

I went online for a little while and just messed around, then went to work. Work was steady all day, but never really busy, and not quite as busy as usual on a football Sunday. A lot of people are probably still recovering from Thanksgiving. I was in and out, and there were no major problems.

Went straight home after work. I parked the bike next to the steps up to my apartment, then headed right for Uncle Ken's. Alas, I missed most of the guests. Samantha and David and their kids and Dolores' children and their kids were all just leaving as I arrived. I did get to talk to Uncle Ken, Dad, Jodie, Dolores, and a few of their friends from the neighborhood, though. Had sausage roll and potato-bacon soup for dinner, along with slices of apple, pumpkin, and coconut cream pie.

The food was better than the game. The Eagles played badly throughout most of it. I got so tired of listening to the menfolk complain that the game was over right after half-time, I left towards the end of the 3rd quarter. I didn't miss much. The Eagles ultimately lost to the Bears, 31-26.

Had a nice, warm shower when I got in. I'll be doing more decorating throughout the week. Should be able to do the garlands after work tomorrow.

No comments: