Monday, December 20, 2010

Countdown to Christmas

Couldn't sleep in today. I had too much to do! I started the morning with this week's laundromat run. That may not have been the best idea. The place was the most crowded I've ever seen it, even at quarter of 10! I was very lucky to be able to get a washer and a dryer without waiting. I guess everyone's doing their laundry early before Christmas. (Either that or they put off doing it during the weekend in order to concentrate on holiday things.)

I usually ride by the Oaklyn Library on my way to and from the laundromat...and I noticed that the orange sign was gone and there were cars in the driveway. There was another sign in the door. This one stated that the Library was not only open and with nice new carpets on the floors, but extending its hours from 10-2 and 4-8 to 10:30-7:30 for most of the next two weeks! I'm so glad they're back. I've missed volunteering there. I didn't have the time today, but I'm off tomorrow.

When I got home, I put the clothes, dishrags, and cookie cloths away, then started the cupcakes. I usually use a mix for the cupcakes I give out because they make more, but I like to experiment with them to make them interesting. I crushed a candy cane and added it and some of that peppermint extract I bought last month to the batter. Alas, I think I overcooked them. They're soft on the inside and a bit tough on the outside. I'm hoping some home-made Candy Cane Frosting will help tomorrow.

I had chicken stew and an apple for lunch, then headed to work. Work was on-and-off busy, more so than it was over the weekend. A lot of people are in the midst of their Christmas baking now. I was able to stock quite a bit of candy between customers.

No comments: