Monday, December 27, 2010

Snow Day!

Most of you who have seen the news know that the East Coast was slammed with anything from 6 to 20 inches of snow last night. Thankfully, we got about a foot - not a small amount, but far less than the Jersey Shore or than what we got during last year's December snowstorm.

That didn't stop the roads from being a mess, though. I don't think the dead end side of Manor was ever plowed, or at least, not salted or plowed well. When I did get up this morning, I decided to just spend the morning hanging out at home instead of risking the mess.

(Oh, and by the way, someone did finally show up to fix the radiator last night...around 10PM. At the very least, it's not making noise anymore.)

I walked to work around 2. I didn't want to drag anyone else out in the snow, especially if they haven't plowed or salted their driveways. Manor Avenue was a bit messy, but most sidewalks on Kendall were clear. I had a far easier time on the Black Horse Pike than I did yesterday - the high winds had blown much of the snow off of the sidewalks and grass...so much that I was able to walk across most of them at my normal speed.

The only place that was a problem both was was the ramp onto Kendall. Snow had blown into high drifts against the railings, but I wasn't taking a chance on the roads, especially later in the evening. Hiking over mountains of ice created by snow plows shoving snow against the curb was annoying, too.

Alas, it took me longer to walk there than I had anticipated. I was 15 minutes late. For all the business we had, I could have been a hundred minutes late. It got mildly steady during the usual 4PM rush hour, but was stone-cold-dead for the rest of the night.

Not surprisingly, the shelves were decimated. People in particular were complaining about missing eggs and bananas. The Philadelphia International Airport must have cleared their runways pretty quickly; by the time I finished at 7:15, I saw people buying eggs and bananas.

No comments: