Tuesday, December 21, 2010

This Time of the Year

I slept in this morning, likely the only time I'll be able to do so this week. Read The Great Santa Search and my new Bowery Boys books in bed, then wrote in my journal. When I finally got out, I put on my clothes, had a quick breakfast of muffins and a half of a grapefruit, and watched Barbie In A Christmas Carol again before I had to take it back. I didn't get out to the Haddon Township Library until past 11.

I had a hard ride. Though it was sunny and a little less chilly than it has been, it was also very windy. The wind whipped across my face as I rode across Newton River Park. This time, I didn't see any wildlife, but I did see some older ladies walking dogs. The ladies were bundled up like Randy in A Christmas Carol.

The Library was quite busy when I got in. It was busy in the back, too. The librarians were showered with cookies and treats from various people. I got to sample some, too. The chocolate-covered cookies were especially good, and I liked the creative green marshmallow wreaths made from corn flakes and green-tinted Jet-Puffs.

I didn't want to linger at the Library for very long, since I had a lot of things to do today. I just shelved and organized DVDs. Found three kids' DVDs I wanted to take out. I grabbed the last episodes of the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake series Berrywood, Here We Come!, Volume Eleven of Charlie and Lola, and another Max and Ruby holiday collection, A Very Bunny Christmas.

My next stops were short runs to Super Fresh and the Dollar Tree. The Super Fresh carries carrots in bunches, which I prefer to the tasteless orange clubs Acme sells in bags. They also have better prices on maple syrup (one of the very few items with a price that's better than Acme's), and I forgot the mushrooms on Saturday. Also stopped at Dollar Tree for another Christmas bag.

Had lunch at Geneva Pizza on Cuthbert Road, a few blocks down from the Westmont Plaza. It was 1:30 when I got in, and the place was quiet. My only companions for a slice of cheese and broccoli pizza and a can of Diet Coke was Judge Alex on the big-screen TV across from me.

Headed home after lunch. I told Miss Ellie I'd rake under the bushes in the front of the house for her. After I finished that, I went for a walk around the neighborhood. Went to the end of Goff Avenue to check out how frozen the river's gotten. I had a wonderful, clear view all the way to the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Spent the rest of the evening at the apartment. Worked on the last baked item I need to make while watching Berrywood!. As you can guess from the title, these two stories are both movie-based. In the first, Strawberry's old friend Limelight is now a star...but like Eden Starling, Limelight has a serious me-first complex that alienates her old friends. The second story shows what happens when the girls try to make a movie to save an old theater and the Pie Man and Sour Grapes interfere.

To be honest, these aren't Strawberry's best by a long-shot. Neither made much sense, and Limelight changes her mind about her ways much too quickly and arruptly. It is nice to see the 2003 series come to at least some conclusion, though. However, mothers looking to introduce their daughters to the second world of Strawberry might want to start with the 2003-2005 entries.

Max and Ruby had a lot more fun. My favorites in this collection were "Grandma's Present" (Ruby shops for something special for Grandma, but the boa she picks is more appropriate for her than her rather tomboyish grandparent) and "Ruby's Snow Angel" (Ruby teaches Max to make snow angels, but he would rather search for the Abominable Snow Bunny).

Two stories show a rare spirit of cooperation among this pair. "Max's Christmas Tree" has the duo decorating their own tree. Ruby, as usual, wants it to be conventionally beautiful...but Max has his own definition of "beauty" that can work just as well. (I loved his pinwheel for a tree topper.) "Ruby's Sing-Along" has Ruby trying to decide on a song to perform for a talent show. She has no idea what to sing and play...until Max and his noisy animal toys give her a very creative answer.

Ran White Christmas while having chicken chili, spinach salad, and leftover mashed sweet potatoes for dinner. White Christmas tends to drag in spots (especially once the rom-com contrivances take over in the second half), but some of the numbers are sensational. I love both the girls and the guys' versions of "Sisters," the bizarre "Mandy" number, and the touching performance of the title song in the opening sequence.

No comments: