Saturday, October 15, 2011

Adventures In Audubon and Oaklyn

Started off an absolutely gorgeous, windy morning with the American Top 40. Casey took us into the final autumn of the 70s with disco, jazz, and some lovely ballads. Hits included Donna Summer's "Dim All the Lights," Robert John's "Sad Eyes," and Herb Alpert's first hit since the late 60s, that week's number #1 song, the jazz tune "Rise." (Alpert may have been too busy with his day job as the then-head of A&M Records!)

I didn't do quite as much riding around as last week, but I did hit some yard sales. Did the best at a sale on Belmont Avenue in Haddon Township. Found the original 1992 CD copy of the soundtrack to the Disney Aladdin, the 1982 Wilton Cake Decorating magazine, and the cutest tin with vintage 60s Disney holiday graphics. (My favorite was Santa Donald and his too-quick Nephew Reindeer.) Picked up four Jazz For the... CDs at a sale on Harding Avenue in Oaklyn, but otherwise found nothing there.

Hit the Farm Market before I went to Belmont. Despite the wind, they were elbow-to-elbow full. I was delighted to see the first Brussels sprouts of the season. I loved them the last two years I've gotten them. Also grabbed apples, pears, molasses, an onion, garlic, a small head of organic Bibb lettuce, and cranberries.

Did better in Audubon. A fellow on Walnut Avenue had a pile of small wooden 50s folk-art-esque Christmas ornaments, like the ones Mom has on her tree. My tree's pretty full as it is, so I only bought three. Also picked up three records:

Bonnie Tyler - Faster Than the Speed of Night

Pete Townsend - White City

Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits

Stopped at the Rite Aid across from the Westmont Plaza on my way from Haddon Township to Audubon. My foot was already hurting. I needed that ibuprofen! My current journal is almost done, too. I also grabbed a notebook for my next journal.

Went straight home after leaving Audubon. I had leftovers for lunch, then spent the rest of the afternoon resting my foot and doing things on the computer. I had a hard time getting online - had to re-install Comcast's software.

Work wasn't too bad this evening. It was very busy and went quickly. In fact, it didn't die until an hour before I was done. I spent that hour doing candy. There were no really major problems, and I was able to pick up some Multi-Grain Cheerios on the way out.

My schedule for next week is actually pretty good. My hours are still late, but they're not nearly as long (the longest I work is 5 hours), and I have Tuesday and Friday off again. Considering I was averaging about 16 or 17 hours at this time last year, 22 hours isn't so bad.

No comments: