Friday, October 28, 2011

Let It Snow...at Halloween?

First thing on the agenda this morning was volunteering at the Oaklyn Library. It was dead quiet there. They had a table set up with Halloween-themed party items and a tablecloth, probably for a party sometime this weekend. I just organized the DVDs and the children's books and headed out.

Strolled to Dad and Uncle Ken's after leaving the Library. It was a gorgeous day. The sun was out, the sky was a fresh, bright blue, and there was a snappy breeze in the air. Dad was removing his exotic plants from the side of the front porch. Jodie was there, too, taking a smoking break outside. I told them both about seeing the doctor and getting the x-ray done earlier in the week, and asked for recommendations of good local general physicians.

When I went home, I had leftovers for lunch again and ran Perfect Strangers. Their one actual Halloween-themed episode was the fourth season's "Aliens." Larry talks Balki, Mary Anne, and Jennifer into watching a night-long marathon of horror movies with him on Halloween night. The other three leave early, but Larry insists on watching the whole marathon...which leads him to having a nightmare (his second of three throughout the series) where he thinks Balki is an alien from the planet Mypos who is taking over the Earth!

The other two episodes weren't about Halloween per se, but they both dealt with supernatural elements. "Fright Night" from the seventh season involves the boys trying to get rid of a ghost who lives in Balki's room in the new house. And in the third season's "The Horn Blows at Midnight," when a psychic predicts Larry will die at midnight, Balki and the girls do their best to keep "Mr. Death" at bay!

The Acme called during "Fright Night." Could I come in as soon as possible? They had a call-out, and it was busy. I was in the middle of lunch! I finally said I'd come in a half-hour early at 4. I had to get my paycheck anyway.

It was cloudy, damp, and a little windy when I headed out to work around 3:30, but nothing out of the ordinary for late October in New Jersey other than how cold it was. I wore my heavy black coat for the first time since last spring! I don't think it was even in the 50s.

As it turned out, the worst of the crowds must have been earlier in the afternoon. It was busy, but no more or less than a normal Friday rush hour at the end of the month. I'm not surprised. For all the fuss about snow, we're not supposed to get more than a few inches at the most, and it's more than likely that it'll stick to the grass and not much else...if that.

I decided to avoid the panic and get my own shopping done. I needed to restock pumpkin, brown sugar, and eggs after this week's baking. Was almost out of yogurt and applesauce, and I wanted more of those on-clearance Acme generic organic multi-grain flatbread (long, crunchy whole-grain crackers) - they're really good.

My schedule next week is ok, not great. On one hand, I have two days off again, Tuesday and Saturday, and only one long shift. Not to mention, the fact that I have hours at this time of year is something. On the other hand, the long day is Monday, which means I'll have to miss trick-or-treating all together, and there's more nights until 9:30 than I'd like.

No comments: