Thursday, October 20, 2011

Against the Wind

The rain was long-gone by the time I got up around 9:30. It was still on-and-off cloudy and VERY windy, but nothing like yesterday. It was chilly, too, probably in the upper 50s-lower 60s, perfectly normal and pleasant for this time of year. I opened the windows to let in all that crisp fall air and ran spooky Disney cartoons as I had cereal and a pear for breakfast.

When I finished, I headed out to run a few errands in the neighborhood. My first stop was the Oaklyn Post Office to send out a card and home-made DVD for Lauren's birthday yesterday. (I didn't get a chance to send it out yesterday because of the rain.) There was a long line at the Post Office squeezed into the tiny building, as usual, but at least the lady behind the counter was nice and everything went quickly.

My next stop was the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering there. I just organized DVDs and kids' books. A couple of guys came in to fix some long-dead florescent lights as I was finishing the kids' books. I did the remaining books fast and got out of their way.

I was on my way to Dad and Uncle Ken's to pick up the cake pan I left there Sunday when Dad and Jodie drove by in Dad's van. Seems they were just coming back from their own errand run and were willing to pick up the pan and drive me home. I'm glad I ran into them. Dad says they're going down to Cape May and Atlantic City to visit friends starting tomorrow.

After I got in, I did things around the apartment. I finally removed all of the Verizon High Speed Internet-related programs from my laptop (and there were a lot of them). I did a disc cleanup and defragment. It was a huge help. The laptop is now running much faster. (Thank goodness Comcast seems to require far fewer programs to run.)

Baked Oatmeal Cookies and had a leftover chicken leg and roasted Brussels sprouts for lunch while watching more spooky TV show episodes. In the Tales of the Gold Monkey episode "Trunk From the Past," Sarah White is sent a trunk covered with Egyptian hieroglyphics that once belonged to her late father, an Egyptologist who was murdered by a creature wearing the head of a dog-god statue. When her former fiancee arrives, Jake and Sarah become determined to solve the mystery of the trunk. Why did someone send it now...and is that really the ghost of Sarah's father who keeps appearing in her room?

Laverne and Shirley had an equally scary time with urban legends. Laverne wants to buy a used couch from a house that's being torn down. Shirley claims that the old Ramsdale Manor is the haven for a monster! The two young women, along with their guy friends Lenny and Squiggy, head to the manor to pick up their new furniture...and to see if the legend is true.

Headed to work after Laverne and Shirley ended. Work was busy for most of the night. It was just slowing down when I headed out at 8:30. I had a stroke of luck, too. Someone wanted to trade her 3-7 hours for my 4-8 hours on Saturday. Fine by me! It's the same amount of hours, and I don't mind going in a little earlier if I can get out a little earlier. Not to mention, either way, I can still run my usual Saturday errands.

No comments: