Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cranberry Autumn

It was still cool and humid when I got up this morning, but it doesn't look like it ever rained. Actually, I was jolted awake by a phone call. No, it wasn't the Acme. I have no idea who it was. Someone called Miss Ellie and came around to her door, too. No one ever told me who it was, and I didn't recognize the voice.

After I had oatmeal and a pear for breakfast, I headed out for a walk to WaWa for milk and lunch. Since I got there around 12:30, it was very busy! The first thing I saw on the touch-screen used to order items was a new 6-inch hoagie, the Turkey Ranch Shorti with cucumbers and spinach. Yum! That sounded delicious. I ordered that, then grabbed milk and an Icee for a treat while it was being made.

When I got home, I had lunch, then worked on making Spicy Cranapple Muffins with fresh farm market cranberries and apples. Ran two spooky-oriented TV show episodes while I baked. "I See London, I See France, I See Maddie's Netherworld" is from the final season of Moonlighting. Maddie and David aren't thrilled when they find a dead man in their office. They're even less happy when a pal of his shows up and says he wants the other half of his friend's lottery ticket...which was in the dead man's pocket! Maddie and David argue over death and the idea of there being something "on the other side" as they search for the body.

Remember WENN's sole foray into horror territory was far less gruesome. In "The Ghost of WENN," a thunder storm and a scary, possibly jinxed script has the cast on edge. Hilary Booth, WENN's diva actress, starts hearing what she thinks sounds like voices...but head writer Betty Roberts thinks there may be another explanation for the voice from the beyond. Meanwhile, the script is giving Mackie Bloom the willies, and the storm may not allow the cast to complete their show...

The muffins came out of the oven just as I was heading out to work! I barely made it on time. Good thing I did. Despite the continually gloomy and humid weather, it was busy for most of the evening.

I ran into problems later in the night. A woman and her son were using WIC Checks, but she threw a fit when I explained that she couldn't get the kind of cereal she wanted because it's not on in the cashier's WIC books or in the customers' pamphlets. She just went on whining about how she'd bought it before. Maybe at other stores, but we get into trouble if we let people buy things that aren't in the pamphlet. And I'd made a mistake before that order and put it in as a regular check and not WIC and had to redo it! (When they revamped our computer system last month, they also completely changed how we enter WIC checks. Now we have to type the dates on the checks first instead of last and look under transactions instead of checks.)

I really wish people wouldn't act so darn annoying about those checks. If you read the pamphlets, you know what to buy. They're your list, not a suggestion.

No comments: