Friday, August 17, 2012

A Honey of a Morning

I made it to the gym by quarter after 11 this morning. It was hotter and hazier than yesterday, but despite rumblings of a possible storm later, it was neither cloudy nor really humid. Lucile Roberts was fairly busy when I arrived, more than likely with people hoping to avoid any bad weather later. I watched a college-themed episode of The Price Is Right while I did a decent session on the elliptical machine. I made sure to go easier on the arm weight machines than I did on the leg machines on Wednesday and stretched my arms as much as I could after I finished.

Went right to the Acme after leaving the gym. I picked up my paycheck, then did this week's shopping. I didn't really have a big order. Most of it was either restocks or non-food items. I'm out of toilet paper, sandwich bags, and nuts, and am almost out of sugar and eggs. The Hershey's chocolate chips were on sale. I love their Special Dark. Picked up canned tuna to replace what I had for lunch yesterday. I would normally buy my contact lens solution at a drug store, but I'm just about out, and I don't think I have enough left in the current bottle to wait.

I had just enough time when I arrived at home to put everything away, make a tomato and cheese omelet for lunch, and run Winnie the Pooh. A charming and creative reboot of Disney's Pooh franchise has the members of the 100 Acre Woods searching for Eeyore's tail, then for the fearsome Backson monster, whom they think have made off with Christopher Robin. That's pretty much the whole story. Fans of high action or complicated plots will want to look elsewhere, but for little kids and adult Pooh fans, the creative wordplay (literal and figuratively speaking) and gentle songs are endearing.

Clouds were just starting to sweep over the horizon as I rode my bike to work. Work was very busy the entire night. We were really short on help, too. We've had our hours cut, and one late cashier never bothered appearing. A manager finally came in for me so I could head home.

I'm not entirely happy with my schedule next week. On one hand, I do have Tuesday and Friday off, which I appreciate. It's less time to wait between days. The trouble is, I'm working until 9 and 10 on the days I do work. All the new people they've trained as cashiers are actually older employees who wanted different jobs. That means they have seniority and get the prime hours.

2 comments:

Linda said...

??? Weird idea of "seniority," isn't it? You've been working there longer than "new" employees, hence you should have the seniority.

Emma said...

But they're not new employees; they're just working in different departments. Many of them have worked for Acme for as much as 20 or 30 years. That's part of my problem. Seven years is nothing compared to 20 or 30.