Friday, August 24, 2012

Brief Journey

This day didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped. I shouldn't have slept until 9:30, but I was up last night adding music to my iPod. I didn't get to the gym until quarter after 11. I did a quick bike session, just 20 minutes, then did the arm weight machines. I stretched to avoid a repeat of my stiffness problems last week.

Got to the Acme by noon. I was mainly there for my paycheck. I didn't need a lot of groceries this week. I was mainly there for ground turkey (thankfully found one with a manager's coupon) and Acme's Wild Harvest Organic boxed chicken broth. (Which, amazingly, costs the same as their regular chicken broth.) Replaced diced tomatoes after using them on stir-fry earlier in the week and the butter I used on baking. Grabbed Honey Nut Chex Mix and generic shredded wheat on sale.

It was 1PM when I got in. I put everything away, had a really quick leftovers lunch, changed into drier clothes, and went back out again. Stopped at the bank first to deposit my paycheck, then rode onto Collingswood and the PATCO Station.

I'd planned on going to Atlantic City today. I hoped to catch the 2:23 Transit train...but nope. I missed it by 15 minutes. Not to mention, there wasn't another train until 3:58! I probably should have given up and gone home at that point. Instead, I wandered over to the Walgreens on the edge of the Train/Bus Station property, got a bottle of water, and wandered back over to get my tickent.

That wait was a mistake. I was hoping to spend a few hours there and have a nice dinner, then take a train home around 6 or 7. There were no trains running at 6 or 7. The next train going to Philadelphia after the 5:52 didn't leave until 8:10! That meant I probably wouldn't get into Lindenwauld until 9, and it would likely be closer to 10 before I got home. Busses weren't much better. There was one bus leaving at 6:50 that wouldn't get into Lindenwauld until 8:45!

I spent one measly hour in Atlantic City. I thought of eating a quick dinner at the same place I ate at the last time, but the line was long and their prices weren't great. Subway probably wasn't a great substitute, but they were the only other restaurant in the area that sold meals. I stopped at Starbucks to use their bathroom...and ended up using the one at the Station when I didn't want to wait in line.

I did make it on the 5:52. Other than the train going home stopped twice to let other trains pass, there were no problems traveling. The PATCO was a little noisy going home, but it wasn't horrible, and I did have my iPod. I went straight in the shower when I got in.

I'm extremely disappointed. I was really looking forward to another Atlantic City trip, but I bungled it badly and wasted $13.20. We'll see if I have enough money to try the outlets again next month or during my vacation.

No comments: