Wednesday, August 08, 2012

The Doctor Is In

I got up early for my 9AM doctor's appointment this morning. I was a little later than they asked for, thanks to traffic on Cuthbert Road. The doctor's office is in the big Sentry Plaza office building in Westmont. (NOT in Haddonfield; apparently, they just moved in December, and some online directories haven't changed the address yet.) I wish I hadn't been late. It took me a while to sign the paperwork. (I wish anything involving health wasn't so complicated.)

A nurse took weighed me and took my height, temperature, and blood pressure when I got in...and then, Dr. Manalis finally arrived. She took my blood pressure again with a wider, more accurate strap, then basically asked me a lot of questions about my medical history. She'll need to send me a list of people who can take blood to do my cholesterol...but other than that and my obvious weight problems, I'm perfectly healthy. No high blood pressure or hypertension. She pretty much said keep riding and working out and watch what you eat.

My throat was dry when I got out, so I made a quick stop at a tiny deli next to the doctors' suites for a bottle of water. I rode around Haddon Township, winding up in the neighborhood behind Haddon Township High School. Since I was there anyway, I stopped at Super Fresh to check out a few sales. Not finding anything, I just headed back to Oaklyn.

The next stop was the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering session there. I did get to do some work on the adult DVDs. There were kids playing with the magnetic maze games in the children's area, so I didn't get to do as much there. When I finished with the picture books, I hopped on my bike and rode home.

Didn't go anywhere else for the rest of the afternoon. I discovered that Microsoft Works does have a budget spreadsheet I can use. It'll probably be easier to figure out next month, when I have my receipts. I already got rid of last month's receipts. I dusted the living room. I took out the trash. I checked my e-mail. I had leftovers for lunch and an early dinner. I watched more Babar.

By the second half of the first season, Babar had settled comfortably into the formula of Babar telling his children a story that relates to his own childhood as the young king of the elephants and tells a moral. My favorites were "No Place Like Home," where a clown who has never lived anywhere but the circus tries to stay with Babar in the palace, and "The Show Must Go On," where Babar, goofy King Rataxes of the rhinos, and the other elephants of the court take over a ballet when the cast departs after feuding with a spoiled diva ostrich.

When I got into work, we were just getting hit by the tail end of the rush hour crowd.  This coupled with some annoying beginning of the month crowds made for long lines. They didn't last long. When rush hour ended, so did the crowds. It was so quiet by the time I left, I was doing candy. Other than my register froze in the middle of a long line and I had to move to another one, there were no major problems.

No comments: