Thursday, August 02, 2012

Clean Balance

Started a sunny, hazy, and hot morning with yoga class. Karin lead us in with a wonderful announcement - after she and her husband had given up on trying to have another child, Karin has learned that she's 16 weeks pregnant. She's getting her wish after all. With that in mind, and in honor of the Olympics, we worked on inversions. I've gotten really good at walking up walls, and my balance is much better than it was.

The Collingswood Library wasn't nearly as exciting. Though they were busy, with many people escaping the heat, they also had lots of help from kids out of school and adults on vacation who needed something to do. I organized the DVDs downstairs, shelved one book upstairs, and that was about it.

I made a quick ride through Newton River Park, past a dog-walker and people waiting for the bus on the White Horse Pike, to CVS. I just ran out of shaving lotion the other day, and they have the cheapest prices in the area. Also picked up razors, dishwashing liquid (good sale on Dawn), and sponges (also on sale). Rode over to the Oaklyn Library to volunteer there, but it was the same deal. They had lots of help and only a little bit more to do. I organized DVDs and series books and weeded board books out of the picture book shelves.

Headed back to my apartment and spent the rest of the afternoon doing chores. I had leftovers for lunch. I gave the kitchen a good scrub. I made the bed. I vacuumed the whole apartment. I washed the windows and the mirror on the door to my bedroom. I cleared out my Care Bears. As cute as they are, they're really another collection I don't need and don't use. I'm keeping the vintage Gram Bear, the hard-to-find Perfect Panda, the Talking Cheer Bear, the Tenderheart I won from a crane game in Wildwood, and Oopsy and True Heart (neither of whom have been revived for the current show yet). I moved one of their crates into the living room to hold holiday records. I don't know what I'll do with the other - the Disney Animator's Collection dolls are currently occupying it, but they don't really fit.

Dubbed two public domain videos as I worked. The Lady Vanishes is another British Hitchcock comic suspense film from the 30s. A young woman meets an older lady on a train...and is baffled when she suddenly disappears after relaying a mysterious message. Flying Deuces is a later-day vehicle for Laurel & Hardy. The two find themselves in the French Foreign Legion after a pretty local girl (Jean Parker) turns Ollie down. They're even worse Legionnaires than they were British Army soldiers, and soon, they're flying a plane in the hopes of escaping half the outpost. I tossed a Three Stooges short set in the Foreign Legion, "Wee Wee Monseuir," on after Flying Deuces ended as I prepared to head to Dad and Uncle Ken's for a swim.

It had cooled off a little bit by 5:30. Rose, Dad, Khai, and Jodie were just getting out as I was going in. After my swim, I joined them inside to watch Cars. Khai had a long day, though, and he was tired and very cranky. When he refused to eat his chicken nuggets or obey his mother, Rose just took him home early. I enjoyed a quiet dinner of meatloaf, broccoli, a very vinegary cucumber salad, and garlic noodles with Jodie and Dad as we watched Jeopardy's kids week together.

No comments: