Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Library Magic

It was about 11:30 when I headed out for this week's errand run. It was a bit warmer and hazier than yesterday, though it remained breezy and dry enough that the weather remained tolerable. Nevertheless, I spent a lot of the day inside. I started at the Oaklyn Library. They had a kid volunteering with the children's books, and there wasn't a whole lot to do with the DVDs, either. I was out by quarter after 12.

Since I was in the area anyway, I stopped at Capitol Pizza for lunch. I bought a plain slice, a slice with broccoli and mushrooms, and a bottle of Coke Zero. The weather was still too good to eat indoors and get stuck listening to depressing true crime documentaries, so I took my pizza to the two small, umbrella-covered metal tables on the sidewalk. The view of lunchtime traffic on the White Horse Pike and the printing company across the street wasn't exactly inspiring, but it was an improvement over inside.

I rode through Newton River Park on my way to the Haddon Township Library. Thanks to the improved weather, the park was the busiest I've seen it since the spring. Parents and their children had a picnic on the tables by the green and yellow playground. People walked their dogs. They jogged to the beat of the music on their machines or in their own minds. They strolled with children or friends, avoiding the huge, thick mud patches left by machinery cutting down old trees.

There was a bit more to do at the Haddon Township Library than there had been at Oaklyn. I had plenty of DVDs to put away, and even some kids' books to shelve. I pulled a stack of foreign and kids' titles from the regular movies. I organized the kids' titles. Found the Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood, along with another recent adventure tale for families, The Adventures of Tin Tin. Continued the swashbuckler theme with a collection of cartoons from the recent Disney kids' series Jake Jake and the Pirates, based around Peter Pan. I also finally picked up the newest Maisie Dobbs book, which I've been trying to get for ages. Found three videos to dub in the sales area.

Ran a bunch of errands next. Stopped at Super Fresh first. They were having a good sale on cooking spray and an eco-friendly store-brand Liquid Plumber. (Given how slow the bathroom sink is, even with frequent applications of baking soda, I'm willing to try anything.) Also bought a four-pack of sponges, which weren't all that much more expensive that two of Dollar Tree's two-packs. I was surprised to see Halloween candy already out with the back-to-school items. Acme just has back-to-school going. The CVS on the Collingswood/Oaklyn border hasn't even cleared out their summer displays yet.

(Oh, here's a sign that you know fall's coming soon - the first bags of cinnamon-scented pinecones and funny full-sized scarecrows for yard decorations appear.)

Back to school was also prominent Dollar Tree. They also had some lingering summer items. I was mainly interested in their cleaning items. I just bought scrubbers (and forgot soap, which I really needed - I'll just have to get whatever's cheap at the Acme).

I actually did need to take a look at Rite Aid's back to school section, but not for the usual paper clips and pencils. My old dry erase board was getting kind of scratched and not writing as well. Time for a new one! I bought the same brand as the last one, with a blue-violet border instead of sage green. Also needed Tums and Pepto Bismal. My chest and stomach have been feeling weird. I'm wondering if I have heartburn.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home. I needed to get that video dubbing pile down, so I worked on that for the rest of the evening. I put a set of two 80s Berenstein Bears episodes, "In the Dark" and "Ring the Bell," on the disc with the 1973 Charlotte's Web. "In the Dark" is an adaptation of the Bears story of the same name. Sister is upset when Brother reads her a spooky story, until Papa shows her there's nothing scary about the dark. I have fond memories of this one. Mom still has our copy of the book, which I've read since I was Sister's age. It is nice to see a story where Papa is the one who helps out, too. (Incidentally, the dark has never bothered me, and doesn't to this day. I find it comforting.)

"Ring the Bell" is an original tale. Brother Bear brags to local bully Too-Tall Grizzly that his papa can beat Too-Tall's at the bell-ringing game at the local fair. Papa's more interested in his recipe for six-flavor honey than in competing with anyone, including the biggest bear in the county. When Too-Tall starts promoting the game, it looks like Papa's going to have to try anyway...with a little surprising help from some angry bees!

(And I really wish the tape had been in better shape. I used to like the Berenstein Bears show in the 80s and have seldom seen it since then. While I was able to dub it, the tape was so scratchy and shaky, I threw it away afterwards.)

I continued my dubbing during dinner. Worked on the first half of Mandrake the Magician as I made Tomatoes and Zucchini with Turkey Meatballs, Chinese Beans with Red Pepper, and spiral noodles. Mandrake is a Columbia serial from 1939, apparently based after a popular newspaper comics character. He's a pilot, inventor, and stage magician who is aiding a professor and his daughter and son in creating a "radio waves ray," whose blasts can destroy in an instant and jam radio and communication signals. A villain named the Wasp wants it for his own ends, and will do anything to get it, from sabotaging Mandrake's plan to crushing him in a flood and leaving him and his manservant Lothar to die in a burning radio station, to obtain it!

I know nothing about this character, other than the name getting bandied around occasionally. I can't tell you much more than this is a pretty standard serial with some nifty magic-themed trappings. It's really fun to see dapper Warren Hall go through his paces with his magic act. Kenneth MacDonald, a "friend" of Mandrake's who may or may not be all that friendly, frequently played villains in the Three Stooges shorts of the 40s.

No comments: