Friday, July 12, 2013

A Legend In His Own Time

It was about quarter of 11. I'd spent a lot of the morning finishing The Man Who Owned Broadway. (Which I enjoyed, by the way.) I'd just finished a late breakfast and was getting ready to walk to the Oaklyn Library when the phone rang. Once again, yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in at noon? I agreed to four hours, 12 - 4, but only because I really need the money. As I said yesterday, I'd have fewer problems with the extra hours if they'd have a little more consideration for people than giving them an hour's notice, especially when said person doesn't always have ready transportation.

At the very least, I had the time to do something I've been putting off. I called the closest dentist's office to here that's listed under Independence Blue Cross' site, which turned out to be the one a few doors down from Dollar Tree at the Westmont Plaza, and made an appointment for a checkup at 10AM on Tuesday. That's perfect. I have counseling at 2PM. I can get my teeth done, then volunteer at the Haddon Township Library, then go to counseling.

Work was on-and-off busy. It had apparently been really busy earlier in the morning, but by the time I arrived, it was pretty much the same as it has been for the past week. And once again, by the time I finished, it was fairly quiet. I don't know why they even wanted me to stay until 6 originally. They must have called in other people in addition to me, because they had plenty of help.

I had a lot of shopping to do when I finished, which is one of the reasons I cut the hours down to 4 in the first place. First of all, I needed things to make a mousse pie for Jessa's college graduation party tomorrow. The Oetker mousse mixes were still on sale, and so was the Acme generic whipped topping. Blueberries are cheaper here than at the farm market. Needed to restock canned chicken, brown sugar, single packs of fish, and contact solution. Acme was having a good sale on large boxes of General Mills Cereals - I went with Multi-Grain Cheerios.

Got my schedule, too. Other than a long and late night on Thursday, my schedule is mostly much better than last week's. I have earlier hours (everything else isn't later than 6) and more of them, with Tuesday and Saturday off again.

It started pouring around the same time I finished. This time, the rain just wasn't stopping. I waited outside for at least twenty minutes, but it just kept coming down. I finally rode home and just got really wet. I didn't feel like standing around or calling anyone else out to get wet, especially since I had the bike.

When I got home, I made Peach-Chocolate Chip Muffins, and then had Flounder with green peppers and mushrooms, corn on the cob, and snap peas while watching Broadway Danny Rose. Rose (Woody Allen) is a down-on-his-luck theatrical agent in the 60s whose biggest client (Nick Apollo Forte) is making a comeback and is about to perform on TV for a huge record executive. He wants Rose to bring his current mistress, Tina (Mia Farrow), to the show. Tina turns out to be a loud, obnoxious gangster's moll. Now, Rose has to get Tina to his lush of a client before the big show and dodge her mobster relatives...or his show will be ending permanently!

I'd never heard of this Allen film until I started poking around at older movies in the early-mid 90s. After I enjoyed Scoop and Midnight In Paris, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm very glad I did. As with Scoop, I don't know how audiences passed this one by. I thought it was really cute. Mia Farrow was the surprise here - the blowsy "interior decorator" gangster's girl is very far from her usual classy, delicate ladies. If you're a fan of Allen's comedies, Farrow, or the era this is set in, by all means, it's one of Allen's better 80s films.

No comments: