Sunday, July 14, 2013

Presto Computer Magic

I began a hot, steamy day with records. I ran another one of my 20s CDs as I made Raspberry Orange Pancakes for breakfast. I did call Mom, but wasn't able to talk to her for very long. Mom was enjoying some rare free time. Dad took my nephews Skylar and Collyn out to the boardwalk, so she had the house to herself. I told her about the party yesterday and all the calling in.

Speaking of work, I worked fairly early for a Sunday, at noon. It was sweltering hot as I rode to the Acme, though a decent breeze helped make the heat somewhat easier to take. Work was very busy all afternoon. If people aren't having barbecues and family reunions, they're either coming home from the Shore, or getting ready to head down there. I was in and out with no major problems.

When I got home, I put the air conditioner on and got back into a cooler sundress. Since I was off earlier than usual, I decided to take advantage of the extra time to transfer my Microsoft Works files to text that can be opened in OpenOffice or Word Pad. I turned on the older Compaq laptop and went through my portable hard drives to see what had to be moved. Thankfully, not much, about 30 files all together. Took me an hour and a half to transfer everything that needed to be moved, mostly inventories, budgets, and a few stories. (I loved Works' spreadsheets and databases, but I wasn't a big fan of their word processor.)

I learned a really big lesson from all this. I need to try to be more on top of technology, especially software and apps. If I'd have known that Rough Draft and Works had been discontinued, I would have stopped using both and downloaded similar, still-updated programs years ago.

Spent the rest of the evening listening to records with music from the 20s and 30s and making Chicken Stir Fry and romaine salad for dinner. Nothing Thrills Half as Much as Fred Astaire collected the famous dancer's best-known songs from his vehicles with Ginger Rogers, the Rogers-less A Damsel In Distress, and Second Chorus from the early 40s. Fannie Brice and Helen Morgan covered another record. Brice's side included "My Man" (which I also have on my RCA/Victor 20s CD), "I'd Rather Be Blue," "Cooking Breakfast For the One I Love," and several comic numbers. Chanteuse Helen Morgan gets "Bill" and "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" from Show Boat and "What I Wouldn't Do For That Man" from Sweet Adeline, among others.

No comments: