Saturday, July 06, 2013

Hot Harvest

Started another hazy, sunny morning with today's American Top 40 re-run. Disco was sizzling the dance floor during the scorching summer of 1977. Hits that early July included "Knowing Me, Knowing You" by ABBA,  "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett, "(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher" by Rita Coolidge, "Life In the Fast Lane" by the Eagles, "You and Me" by Alice Cooper, "Do You Wanna Make Love" by Peter McCann, "Da Doo Ron-Ron" by then-teen idol Shaun Cassidy, "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac, "Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky)" by Bill Conti, "Looks Like We Made It" by Barry Manilow, and "My Heart Belongs to Me" by Barbara Streisand.

While it's considered a little cheesy today, the perky tale of a fantasy love, "Undercover Angel," is one of my favorite songs of the late 70s and was on top of the charts that week.

Much to my surprise, the Farm Market was bustling when I arrived. I figured a lot of people would put it off because of the 90+ heat this weekend. I'm glad I was able to make it this time. While the rain ended the sweet cherry season prematurely, everything else is out in full throttle. I saw peaches, green and wax beans, green peppers, large local tomatoes, corn, and eggplants for the first time this year. I bought peaches, blueberries, raspberries, red onions with their stems still attached, green beans, two medium-sized tomatoes, carrots, and a green pepper.

(No yard sales today. It was too hot to be roaming around the area, and I figured there wouldn't be any on a holiday weekend anyway.)

Given the heat, you probably won't be surprised to hear that I spent the rest of the morning at the apartment. After I put away my vegetables and tossed old ones that had gone bad, I put on the second disc on the Tiny Toons Adventures set I bought last month and watched most of them. While I'm saving the Christmas episode for the actual winter holidays, there were plenty of other episodes to savor. "The Horror of Slumber Party Mountain" pokes fun at the campy slasher flicks of the 80s and early 90s. Babs, Fifi, and Shirley are having a weekend together in a lonely old cabin. They take turns playing pranks on their boyfriends...until one of Buster's ghost stories starts seeming a little too real. But the scariest thing in the episode may be Elmyra playing Elvira! "Music Day" has Sneezer's horn playing stinking up the cafeteria and Babs teaching the obnoxious swans in Shirley's ballet class a lesson in how to treat others when they snub Shirley because of her smaller stature and valley girl accent.

Work was pretty much the same as yesterday - busy when I came in, so quiet when I left, I spent the two hours of my shift doing returns. We also had a lot of help - many of the new baggers have been moved up to cashier and just started this weekend. I was in and out with no problems.

I had a surprise waiting for me when I got home. The two American Girl outfits I won on eBay had arrived! These were the last two affordable outfits I wanted for my Samantha doll. (There's three more outfits I wouldn't mind having, but they're all limited-edition and cost a mint in the secondary market.) The Lacy Pinafore Dress is her birthday outfit, and it looks pretty much as it does in Happy Birthday, Samantha! The white Tea Dress with the huge detachable ruffled collar is from Meet Samantha and turns up occasionally thereafter.

I put Sam in the Pinafore Dress, which has shorter sleeves. Just looking at her long-sleeved Middy Dress was making me hot! I switched the black stockings and black Mary-Janes for white Springfield Collection socks and the white and pink heeled shoes from Rebecca's Lacy Dress. I think she looks so cute and girlie-girl in this outfit, and much less warm.

No comments: