Sunday, April 19, 2015

Little Birthday Boy

It was still sunny and beautiful when I got up this morning. I made Banana Pancakes while catching up with some of my newer CD's. Say You Will, one of Fleetwood Mac's newer albums, debuted a year after I moved to Wildwood. Though the title song was the big hit, my favorite song from this one is the driving "Peacemaker." I did Bruno Mars' Doo Wop & Hooligans as I did some more writing and packed up for work.

Work was busy for most of the afternoon. Nice weather early on coupled with this being the only day many people can shop at all brought a lot of folks out of the woodwork. I just out of place. Everyone complained about having to shop at all and this and that and the other thing. I enjoy shopping, including grocery shopping. All I could think is how out-of-place I felt. My customers and co-workers have nothing in common with me, and I have nothing in common with them. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 5 PM that I was able to shut down with no relief. I quickly bought a bag for Khai's birthday present before heading out.

As soon as I got home, I changed, packed up Khai's birthday present, signed his birthday card and Rose's, and rode to their house on Kendall. My nephew Khai's birthday is today. He's an adorable five. Rose and Craig took him to the Philadelphia Zoo earlier today for his big birthday present. He'd long had his cake by the time I finally got there, but he was still awake. I had some of the cute zoo-themed cake Rose made and was able to give Khai his chalk and Rose her birthday card (her birthday was two weeks ago). They gave me a birthday card too with 20 dollars in it. I watched the Philadelphia Union soccer team play the New England Revolution on ESPN as Craig helped Khai put his new Lego car track together.

(Incidentally, the Revolution eventually won, 2 to 1.)

I headed home to have leftover tuna casserole for dinner. Ran The Pirates of Penzance as I ate. This is the Broadway cast of the hit early 80's revival that includes Linda Rondstat as Mabel and Kevin Kline as the Pirate King. I've been a fan of the film for years. The original cast is also worth having - it's more-or-less the same, with the exception of Estelle Parsons as Ruth.

The weather that was so nice in the morning had clouded up and become cold by the time I got out of work. It's remained so the rest of the evening, including while I was at Rose's. It's supposed to rain hard tomorrow. We'll see how things go.

No comments: