Monday, April 18, 2016

Out In the Sunshine

I slept in today. Ran episodes of The Cat In the Hat Knows a Lot About That while eating breakfast and making Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting for my Snickerdoodle Cake. The kids learn about traveling in "I See Seeds." I knew about maple tree seeds, of course - they're the whirly kind you throw in the air - but not that gorse bushes spit out their seeds. "Teeny Tiny Adventure" introduces us to the smallest organisms on Earth, including an amoeba, the one-cell organism party!

Headed out around 12:30. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library. As you can guess on a warm day that was so beautiful, the door was open to catch breezes, they weren't busy. I saw maybe two people chatting with the librarian the entire forty minutes or so I was there. I organized the DVDs and gave the kids' area a cursory glance before moving on.

My original plan for today was to get the laundry done, then write. I still wanted to write...but the day had gotten into the mid-to-upper 70's. It was sunny and bright, with just the barest hint of a breeze. I wanted to celebrate that somehow. I just ended up riding over the bridge on Atlantic and down to Haddon Heights. I thought of eating there, but most of the restaurants in that town are so expensive! I just turned around and rode back.

As I was passing Pine Street in Audubon, I remembered a small shopping center on the next block over from the Concentra Care Medical Office. They had a bagel shop and a Chinese place. I'd passed them many times, but had never tried them...until today. I opted for the bagel shop. I had a cheese and tomato sandwich and a can of Diet Pepsi. I didn't have much time to eat. I got there at ten of 1, and it turns out they closed at 2. I knew I should have gone for Chinese. I thought there was a reason the kids behind the counter were in a hurry and almost rude. They wanted to get out of there and enjoy the nice day, too.

When I got home, I went into writing (after opening as many windows as I could - the apartment was in the 80's!). Han comes up with a plan to trick the Imperial soldiers into leaving the Wookie herds alone. Leia and Cecil (Threepio) dress as Jedi and pose as ghosts, luring two soldiers into the Woods so Han and Cecil can take their armor. Han is able to trick the remaining guards long enough for Leia to free the horses and let them run ragged over the Imperials. Like the dragons in the previous stories, the herds are grateful to the trio for helping them and offer their aid if it's ever necessary.

Finished out the day with leftovers and the rest of the first disc of the Cat In the Hat set. The Cat and the kids have "A Howling Good Time" when a wolf pup shows them how he finds his way home when he's lost. Sally needs help to make her flower grow, so the Cat recommends a farmer and her "Secret Super Digger" - a worm whose tunnels provide light and water for her crops. They learn how to whistle from a wren in "Pucker Up and Blow." A skunk teaches them to identify different smells in "Sniff and Seek." "Aye Aye!" is the Halloween episode. The kids want to be a scary aye aye (a jungle critter) for Trick or Treat, but he thinks he's more useful than scary.

No comments: