Wednesday, May 22, 2019

A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow

Lauren and I slept in; I woke up around 6, and went back to bed until 8:30. I had a quick breakfast while she got organized, then headed out for our last walk together. Took Lauren the long way this time down Atlantic and Nicholson back to Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. It was another lovely day for a walk, too, sunny, breezy, and a bit warmer than yesterday, but nothing like over the weekend.

We sort of rushed through our visit to Audubon Crossings last week and either skipped or didn't really investigate most of the stores. I considered a Zelda game at GameStop, but decided that the Lego Pirates of the Caribbean game I bought yesterday was enough. Lauren looked at Nintendo Switch games, but ultimately didn't buy anything.

Next up was lunch. Since we did Sonic last week, we opted for Chick Fil' A today. For once, neither their take-out nor their inside lines were ridiculous. We just missed the lunch hour crowds. I bought a grilled chicken sandwich, a frosted lemonade, and waffle fries. Lauren had the fries, a breaded chicken sandwich, and the frosted key lime drink I got last time. Our food came before our drinks did. Evidently, the frozen drink machine got jammed. The manager and one of the kitchen people delivered them within minutes, and brought us straws and napkins, too.

Headed to the other side of the mall after lunch. Goodwill was far busier. I dodged people as I went through old electronics, dishware, toys, and DVDs and CDs. I came up with DVD copies of Scrooged (in its original plastic), the Christopher Guest folk music spoof A Mighty Wind, and the Warner Bros release of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, along with one of the vintage 80's Garfield McDonald's cups. I saw two more, but I only had room for one. I may go back for the rest later this weekend. Lauren found a shirt and a knit vest for work.

(The DVDs were great finds. Having enjoyed Best In Show and For Your Consideration a while back, I've been wanting to catch the other Guest mockumentaries. I've enjoyed seeing Scrooged again so much these past few Christmases, I wanted my own copy. And my copy of It's the Great Pumpkin is at least 12 years old and was starting to skip last year. I've been meaning to pick up the Warners version. They moved the election special to its own release - until I can find that one, I'll keep the older set and the new one.)

We were in and out of Marshalls and Ross next. Lauren bought shirts in both places. I only picked up Orange Cream Coke for $1.19 in Marshalls. Saw sports sandals I liked in Ross, but I may go back for them when I have more money. My DVDs kept setting off the security sensors. The guys at Ross are familiar with me and others and let me in with no fuss, but the manager at Marshalls, while she was nice about it, had to check it out.

(Honestly, the cashier at Marshalls was much worse. She was an older woman who complained loudly and angrily about having to cashier and talk on the phone, and refused to bag my soda herself because "I don't handle people's sodas." Uh, I handle them all the time at the Acme with no trouble.)

Stopped quickly at the Acme on the way home. Picked up tissues and a tomato for dinner tonight, but I was mainly there to get my schedule. To my surprise, I don't have one. I'm off for the remainder of the weekend after my vacation ends tomorrow. That'll give me time to tidy up and get in library volunteering before I return to work for good.

After we got home, we went right into Angry Birds Star Wars. We got through more than half of the Dagobah rounds. Mostly did very well, too. Got a lot of high scores, several two stars, and three stars at least twice.

I ran more Looney Tunes after dinner while frying bacon for Bacon Spinach Salad with cheese, tomato, and home-made Southwestern Lime Dressing (taco sauce, lime juice, olive oil, and a wee sprinkling of sugar). Among my favorites of the Daffy vehicles seen here are "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" (Daffy's epic screenplay spoofs Errol Flynn-esque swashbucklers), "Yankee Doodle Daffy," (Daffy is utterly determined to make producer Porky hear his lollipop-slurping client), and "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and 1/2 Century." (Daffy and Porky battle Marvin the Martian for control of Planet X.)

After a tasty dinner (and Lauren helped her parents get a free baseball game on the baseball network), we played more Roll With It! Played four games this time. I think Lauren won three of them; I only got one this time.

We're finishing the night online. Tomorrow, Lauren goes home around 11. I'll likely spend the rest of the day volunteering at the Haddon Township Library, running errands, and tidying up after my vacation.

No comments: