Monday, May 20, 2019

Better Shop Around

I rolled out of bed to another hot day around 7:30, then read in bed...and then tried to sleep for another hour. Got up for good around 9:30, wrote in my journal, and got dressed. Threw on a cartoon while Lauren and I got ready to go and I had breakfast. Garfield In Paradise takes the famous fat cat, his nerdy owner, and his dog buddy to Paradise World, where the natives worship 50's surfer culture and the hotel owners spout Jack Benny jokes. Paradise turns sour quickly when they hear a rumble from the local volcano...and realize it's about to go off!

We headed out this time around 10:30 to pick up the 10:57 bus to Cherry Hill. The bus was slightly late, but nothing really annoying. Almost everyone got off at the offices near the Shop Rite shopping center, and there was no traffic.

Since it was nearly noon by the time we arrived, I took Lauren down the concrete steps, past the parking garage, and over the bridge to the Silver Dollar Diner for lunch. The diner is a shiny 50's-style eatery on the edge of a hill with splendid views of Cherry Hill. I had the same thing I had when we went here last year, the Tarragon Crab Cake with cole slaw and Old Bay-dusted fries...and it was just as delicious this year. Lauren enjoyed her turkey sandwich and huge bowl of clam and corn chowder.

We were in and out of Kohl's and Target. I didn't buy anything in either place. I'm only looking for a few things; they didn't have any bathing suits I liked at Target, nor any really decent sneakers, and I'm not a fan of Target's clothes. Lauren bought shirts at Kohl's and a bra from a brand she liked that had been renamed at Target.

Despite the dire predictions of Channel 6 weather man Dave Murphy, there were only a few dark clouds on the horizon when we strolled back over to the main mall around 2. Lauren wanted to check out Macy's; she loves them. I once again didn't find anything, but she picked up a shirt. Browsed at The Disney Store, but she didn't see any t-shirts she liked, and the Star Wars stuff was a bit picked-over. (They're mainly focusing on Toy Story 4 and the Aladdin and Lion King remakes right now. They probably won't restock Star Wars until well into the fall.) She tried on plaid pants at New York and Company, but they didn't fit. Lauren bought a WWE-themed card set at Go Games. Didn't see anything we really wanted at Build-a-Bear.

I finally found something at JC Penney's. I just wanted a simple, relatively inexpensive one-piece bathing suit. Most of the plus-sized suits were either too expensive, had too high of a rear line, or were two-pieces. Finally turned up a black and white wrap suit trimmed with a fringed tassel that was on sale for $39. Lauren got some things for her parents.

Old Navy was pretty messy when we got in. I didn't see anything I absolutely needed, so I opted to rush downstairs and go to the bathroom while Lauren bought a sweater on clearance. We met at GameStop upstairs. I did much better here. Lauren bought a Nintendo Switch game; I picked up Lego Pirates of the Carribean for the Wii for a mere $4.99. I needed change for the bus anyway, and I like the Pirates movies and love the Lego games, so this was perfect.

The bus was only a tiny bit late this time, but the traffic was the real problem. It was really backed up going over the Cooper River and on Haddon Avenue in Westmont. It was past 6 when we finally made it in. Lauren needed to use the restroom, so we stopped at WaWa. She bought Sprite Cherry and Limonade; I grabbed a Vanilla Coke, my favorite soda.

Made a quick dinner of turkey hot dogs and zucchini sauteed in olive oil while we settled down and watched Garfield In Hollywood. Garfield, Odie, and Jon win a big local pet talent show on TV that takes them to the national finals in Hollywood. Garfield's determined to become a star, but Jon worries that winning may mean leaving him behind.

Played Roll With It! again after dinner. That game is so much fun. We only got in two rounds this time. Lauren won the first one with twice as many cards as me. We tied on the second.

I hit the shower, and then we went online and chatted for a while. I've been trying to get a hold of Jessa to see if she wants to come to the Deptford Mall with us, but she hasn't replied to my texts or Facebook Messenger posts. If she doesn't respond by tomorrow morning, we'll just take the long walk to Barrington to pick up the bus to Deptford.

(And by the way...it still hasn't rained here at press time. Looks like it went north again.)

No comments: