Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Bad Day of the Storms

Started a sunny, hot, and killer humid day with work. Work...did not go well. On one hand, after doing the carts for the first hour or so, I was mostly inside shelving loose items. I picked up a few extra hours, which is great for my wallet...but the reason I got them was because the afternoon bagger called out. (Again. He calls out a lot.) I ended up borrowing money for lunch. I didn't bring any; I'd expected to eat lunch at home. Spent a lot of the rest of the afternoon fielding five different commands at once from at least three different managers. Got stuck in a register for the last half-hour when a cashier didn't have someone to come in for her.

Was getting organized when Charlie came up to my door. Apparently, the next few days are going to be too humid to do the painting he'd originally planned. He's going to work on fixing up the steps to my apartment instead. That does mean I'll have to go up to my place through his house, but it's only for the weekend.

Did some writing for the next few hours. Luke's angry when Mara criticizes the Rebel League for destroying government property...but she declares the man who saved her to be a hero. Wedge, Harris, and Kes tease Luke, but he points out that Mara only knows his alter-ego. She thinks his regular form is a nerd.

Leia joins the guys at the counter as Kes changes the channel. She offers Luke something better than a medal - a chance to be her partner. They both need help learning about their powers. Luke will only join if Harris and Chewie can, too. Harris may not have superpowers, but he can build amazing weapons and vehicles, and he knows the area better than anyone.

Heavy black clouds had been building up while I worked. By the time I broke for dinner, they were thick and overhead. I switched off the computer as the first BANG! was heard. The sky looked almost green as lightning flashed and rain came down in torrents.

It was a perfect night for a spooky Three Stooges short while I had leftovers for dinner. "If a Body Meets a Body" has the Stooges hoping to claim Curly's inheritance from his uncle...if they can survive a night in a house that may be haunted by the ghost of Curly's scientist uncle and a skull that seems to move on it's own!

The rain was practically a waterfall when I switched to Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Began At World's End with a trip to "Singapore" to pick up the Chinese war lord's men, including a big tatooed guy who can pull out items with orange handles. The next round, "Davy Jones' Locker," is really strange. It begins with Jack joining with various "imaginary" versions of him to repair his ship in a dusty wasteland. Once you get the ship repaired, you need Barbarossa and the short, blunderbuss-sporting crew member Marty to find the rest of the crew and get the ship turned over.

Thankfully, the storm was gone by the time I jumped in the shower and took out the trash. I watched some more Pirates of the Caribbean run-throughs on YouTube, then switched to Buzzr. The early 80's Card Sharks is doing a fun series of episodes featuring game show hosts of the time as contestants, including a very young Alex Trebek (reminding everyone that he's Canadian in a Montreal Canadiens sweater) and fellow Buzzr hosts Allen Ludden (Password Plus) and Gene Rayburn (Match Game). I had to look up where I recognized Jim Lange from. He hosted a mid-80's revival of Name That Tune that I know I watched on USA. Likewise, I remember Wink Martindale well from USA Tic Tac Dough re-runs. I think I know Tom Kennedy from the CBS show Body Language.

Honestly, I hope they did this again sometime, because these guys have been hilarious to watch. Special kudos to the rounds that pit Ludden against Rayburn and Ludden against Martindale (and his very wide, white teeth).

No comments: