Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Walking In the Air

Began a cloudy morning with breakfast and Frosty the Snowman in honor of the weather we were supposed to get later. Frosty (Jackie Vernon) is the creation of a group of kids on Christmas Eve who comes to life via a magic magician's hat. It's original owner Professor Hinkle (Billy De Wolfe), a terrible magician, wants it back. Little Karen (June Foray) takes Frosty up to the North Pole to evade Hinkle and keep him from melting. 

Continued onto Frosty Returns as I got ready for work. This isn't another follow-up to the Rankin-Bass Frosty. In this 1992 special, a far more hip and sarcastic Frosty (John Goodman) joins two kids to save their town's winter carnival from a nasty executive (Brian Doyle Murphy) whose snow removal chemicals threatens the entire event...and Frosty's life as well.

The snow still hadn't arrived by the time the Uber driver pulled up to the curb. It didn't start snowing until several hours later, while I dealt with panicky customers buying all their baking supplies before the snow got bad. At least that was the worst thing that happened all day. It slowed down later in the day, though it never really died out. My relief arrived on time, and I was in and out...

Or I would have been, if my cell phone behaved. I plugged it in, and it still kept resetting. It claimed it had barely any juice left, though it was up to 77 during my break. I tried getting through to Uber three times, and three times, it died before I could confirm their call. (And I dropped it - again - as I dashed out.)

As it turned out, I probably wouldn't have gotten through to Uber, even if my cell phone worked. Fat, fluffy flakes spun down in huge clumps, obscuring everything and sticking to the streets. Even if I could call someone, no one could get through that mess. Most of my family doesn't drive in the snow. I just ended up walking home. It took me a while. Most sidewalks weren't shoveled, and the snow blurred my glasses. At least the lights are pretty, shining against the whiteness. Hillcrest Avenue looks like a Christmas card.

Speaking of Christmas cards, one waited for me when I got home and shook off. Mom sent me a second card...ironically of a pretty tree in a glittery snow scene. She's right that it is lovely.

Tried doing a little writing when I finally changed into dry clothes and sat down. Gene swings his legs to get out of bed. He's not being left out of this. Tom reminds him that they'll need all the help they can get. Goodson has a whole platoon of sailors with him.

Broke early for dinner at 6. Wanted to get started on the Merry Christmas Molasses Roll-Outs as soon as I finished my leftovers. This vintage recipe from The Betty Crocker Cooky Book is basically a crispier form of gingerbread. I brush my cookies with egg wash and shake colored sprinkles on them. They're fun to cut and decorate, but they do take a while to make, chill, and roll out. 

Watched Match Game '75 during dinner. In the first episode, the losing contestant asks for a kiss from Gene...and gets a pretty interesting kiss sound effect along with the smooch. The second had all of the regulars getting white carnations from a lady in the audience. It's Game Show Host night on Match Game PM. Of the panelists - Peter Marshall of Hollywood Squares, Brett, Dick Martin, Elaine Joyce, Bill Cullen, and Betty White - only Brett never hosted a game show. (And that includes Charles, who was on hiatus directing an opera.) 

It was a second close game in a row on Sale of the Century. The lady won at least one Fame Game and the challenger bought the first Instant Bargain. In the end, the champ picked up the third Instant Bargain, won a Fame Game, and killed at the Speed Round. He picked up a lovely diamond ring for his wife.

Watched The Snowman as I pulled the cookies out of the oven and cleaned up the dough mess. This was the perfect day for the lovely tale of a little boy in the English countryside who builds himself a snowman, then dreams he comes to life. He shows him all around his house and yard, including a ride on a motorcycle. His friend eventually takes him on a flight across the sea to the North Pole, where Santa Claus and his fellow snowpeople insist he join a huge Christmas party.

Finished the night online with the cozy Christmas In Connecticut on TCM. Elizabeth Lane (Barbara Stanwyck) is the most popular food columnist in America. There's just one problem. The charming farm and baby she spins yarns about are fictional. In real life, she's a single city girl who can't boil water. All her scrumptious recipes come from her Hungarian friend Felix's (S.Z Sakall's) restaurant. 

The trouble starts when her scrupulous-for-accuracy boss (Sydney Greenstreet) insists on inviting herself and a war hero (Dennis Morgan) over to her farm for Christmas. Turns out John (Reginald Gardiner), the pompous architect who's been trying to propose to Elizabeth for ages, has a farm. He insists that they get married for Christmas....but then Elizabeth lays eyes on the handsome sailor and falls head over heels. Missing babies, runaway cows, and local dances make for one hectic Christmas, and teaches Elizabeth that honest is the best policy, especially where love is concerned. 

Morgan and Stanwyck make a charming couple in this sweet romantic comedy, but the movie is stolen by Sakall and Greenstreet as the two very different bosses. Highly recommended viewing for a chilly, snowy December evening curled up in front of the fire. 

Oh, and by the way, it rained for a while around midnight. I don't think it's doing anything out there right now. There might be a little snow in the early morning, but the roads seem to be pretty clear. 

No comments: