Thursday, January 06, 2022

Storm Jitters and Matches

Started off the morning with breakfast and That Girl From Paris on the Watch TCM website. I go further into this 1936 vehicle for opera star Lily Pons that pits her against Lucile Ball for musician Gene Raymond at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Headed straight to work the moment the movie ended. I was surprised at how busy work was for the Thursday after a major holiday, until I remembered we're supposed to get snow tomorrow. It's only between 2 and 4 inches worth, but the most snow we've gotten to this point was the inch or so that fell the other day. That's enough to freak everyone out. It actually kind of amuses me. No one in this area lives more than walking distance from anywhere that sells milk. This isn't like Cape May County, where many towns are twenty minutes to a half-hour or more apart and you often need to do some driving to buy milk and bread. Cape May County doesn't have the snow plows we do, either. 

My relief was barely on time, but it did slow down enough by then to let me get my own grocery shopping in. I mainly needed fruit and meat. The cranberries are gone, but they still have those cute little cornice pears. I know I just bought eggs yesterday, but there was a good sale on the 18-count pack. Grabbed canned grapefruit off the clearance rack. Restocked yogurt, milk, chicken drumsticks, ground chicken, bananas, shredded wheat, oatmeal, and fruit spread. 

As soon as I got home, I put everything away, had a quick eggs-and-grapefruit dinner, and went back online for the next Betty White/Match Game marathon at YouTube. By 1976, Betty and the show were at the height of their initial popularity. Some of the show's most memorable episodes occurred this year. She gave announcer Johnny Olsen a smooch while a clingy contestant squeezed Gene, helped a cool older lady become a top winner, kissed George Kennedy after an older woman contestant gave Richard a smooch, helped a young Brianne Leary win money to launch her acting career, did a mock strip tease to the appropriate music, and watched Gene fight with the recalcitrant pop-up question holder. 

Enjoy this bit of peak Match Game...and come back tomorrow at 5 PM to see Betty in 1977!

No comments: