Sunday, January 09, 2022

Unsinkable Matches

Started off the morning with breakfast and the original cast album for The Unsinkable Molly Brown. The title lady is Molly Tobin Brown (Tammy Grimes), a poor miner's wife who is determined to better herself after her husband J.J Brown (Harve Presenell) strikes silver. She's "unsinkable" because not only did she survive the sinking of the Titanic, she was one of the major leaders who helped people onto the boat and kept their spirts going. While Meredith Wilson's score isn't quite at the level of The Music Man, it does have some good songs, including Molly's defiant "I Ain't Down Yet" and her boisterous "Belly Up to the Bar, Boys" with the miners and J.J's ballad "I'll Never Say No."

Hurried off to work even before the record ended. Thankfully, it was wet when I went out this morning, but otherwise not a problem. Most of the snow was even gone. I got to work on time. 

Work wasn't busy when I arrived. I spent most of the morning shelving candy and working on story ideas. It didn't pick up until 11:30...and then, we were swamped for the rest of the day. Even after more help came in later, we were still swamped. The Eagles played (and lost) yesterday, but there were other games today, and many people can only do their shopping on Sundays at any time of the year. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 4 for me to shut down without a relief. Grabbed parchment paper and more clearance ice cream in order to get money for laundry.

Went straight home this time. It was showering a little when I went home, nothing horrible. Didn't see any of the ice we're supposed to get tonight, either. Got in with no problems other than being slightly damp.

Called Mom when I got home and changed. She called me while I was at work. She wanted to check up on me after I was sick last week. She basically confirmed that my going down there isn't as easy as Rose wants to think. Rose hasn't done anything but vacationed in Cape May County for 20 years. There's even less housing there than there is here, and it's more expensive. Mom's on long waiting lists for three senior apartment buildings and one regular one. 

Rose also forgets that she is the only person in the entire family who owns her own home right now. Everyone else is renting or in the midst of selling theirs, even Jodie. Mom says her little house in the Villas is also really beyond her means, but she doesn't have a choice. She has to live somewhere. Anny's family has outgrown their split-level house in North Cape May, too, and it's also very expensive. 

It's also hard to plan anything when you don't know what you're doing next. I tried to explain that to Rose yesterday, but I don't think I got through to her. She rags on me about not being organized, but it's hard to organize things when you don't know your next move. I do need to get a hold of that neuropsychologist, though. I have no intention of getting medication, but I do need help with communicating better and how to relate better to people. 

Hunted for apartments for an hour, then spent the rest of the night eating leftover burgers, whole wheat bow tie pasta, and delicious roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner while watching the next Betty White/Match Game marathon. Betty was there to see the New Year in at Match Game, but there wasn't much time left for the show on CBS. They were canceled that summer and promptly picked up for syndication in the fall. 

Classic episodes from this round included Betty doing a Charleston in response to a question, her being frisked by comic drunk Foster Brooks, several episodes featuring happily remarried husband and wife team Dick and Dolly Martin, Betty helping out with a blind contestant and his beautiful service dog Princess, and a cheerleader showing off her moves for the crowd after Betty helps her win. 

Keep on cheering for Betty in '79! And come back tomorrow at 5 for the remaining syndicated episodes!

No comments: