Saturday, December 26, 2009

Rainy Day Excursion

Today was my early work day. It was pouring when I woke up this morning, but the snow melted enough to allow me to ride to work and get wet. I didn't even bother trying to call anybody. It's the day after Christmas, and dreary weather, to boot. I figured anyone with any sense (or who didn't have work) would be sleeping in.

Work wasn't too busy this morning. I spent a lot of the first half of my shift doing returned. It picked up after 1, to the point where the manager tried to get me to stay later. I had a headache and things I wanted to do. As it turned out, I ended up staying a little late anyway when my relief never appeared at all. Otherwise, there were no major problems.

I rode over to the FYE behind the Acme to use the gift card Lauren got me. I bought the final season of Get Smart (it's supposedly not great, but I wanted to finish the set) and the epic 1965 comedy The Great Race. (Lauren and I plan on writing a similar early 20th-century-set racing action-comedy next month.) Since they were $9.99 with any DVD or CD purchase, I also bought a Peppermint Puppy WebKinz, my third Christmas-related Webbie after Clarence and Mary the Reindeer. (I wasn't crazy about last year's Christmas WebKinz the snowman.)

Went back to the Acme next and did the last major grocery trip of the year. Got my hours, too. They're almost exactly the same as last week, though thankfully nothing later than 8 or earlier than noon this time. Same days off, too, Tuesday, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.

I went home with a bike filled with yogurt, eggs, milk, grapefruit, oranges, bananas, Brussels sprouts, two packs of salmon fillets, peanut butter, and a 9-volt battery for my fire alarm. It was raining even more heavily, but more snow was gone, too. I still got wet, but I had a somewhat easier ride home.

My original plan was to run to the bank after I came home and put my groceries away, but I'd had enough of being wet. I just hung around, made broccoli, pasta, and the last of the leftover meatloaf for dinner, and watched The Great Race and Good Eats episodes instead.

Oh, and meet Starlight the Peppermint Puppy! Named for the famous round peppermints, Starlight is going to move in with Billy the Mountain Goat.

No comments: