Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Warm Christmas

I spent the morning indoors, avoiding the gloomy and too-warm weather. Made Minty Buttercream Frosting for the Candy Cane Cupcakes, and then simple baguettes for me, since I was out of bread. Ran The Muppets' Christmas Carol, which was one of the movies that came in the box from Lauren, and a couple of holiday TV show episodes.

Moonlighting did two holiday episodes. I prefer the more festive "'Twas the Episode Before Christmas" from the second season. When receptionist Agnes DiPesto finds a baby abandoned in her laundry a few days before Christmas, her bosses Maddie Hayes and David Addison search for the mother...and then tries to hide mother, child, and Agnes when it turns out the mother witnessed her husband's murder.

There were also two Perfect Strangers Christmas stories; this time, I went with the second one from the fourth season, "The Gift of the Mypiot." Larry doesn't want to invite Mr. Gorpley, Balki's obnoxious boss, to their Christmas Eve party, but Balki does it anyway. Turns out Mr. Gorpley has a reason for being nasty on Christmas, but it's Balki who shows him the true spirit of the holiday.

In the second season Laverne & Shirley episode "Oh Hear the Angel Voices," Carmine convinces the girls, their guy friends Lenny and Squiggy, their landlady Mrs. Babish, and Laverne's dad to help him with his annual Christmas show at a local hospital. What Carmine didn't mention is that the show is being put on at a mental hospital. Shirley's frightened of the patients, having heard a few too many family stories about mental institutions, but Laverne's more interested in flirting with them. Howard Hesseman of WKRP In Cincinatti and Head of the Class fame is the head doctor.

I had a quick lunch of leftovers during the shows, then went for a short walk while the bread rose. It was ridiculously warm and humid for December. I was way too hot in my heavy black coat. All of the wonderful outdoor decorations, from huge wreaths to cute inflatables to elegant swags of greenery, made up for the weather somewhat.

I had a little extra time after the bread finally came out of the oven, so I left early. I forgot to finalize a home-made DVD I sent to Lauren last summer. She sent it back to me in the Christmas box that came yesterday, and I finalized it last night. I was going to send it back to her next week, but since I did have some extra time today, I figured, why not? The Audubon Post Office did have a long line when I arrived. Unlike Oaklyn, though, the line moved quickly, and the young woman at the counter was eventually joined by a older man, which made a world of difference.

I just made it in time for work. Work was on-and-off busy all night. I worked on shelving candy between shifts. Two cashiers were late coming back from break, and I just barely got off of work in time. Thankfully, it was still warm and humid when I got off, but the showers we had earlier when I was at the post office were gone, though it remained windy.

No comments: