Saturday, September 01, 2012

Into the Holiday Weekend

It was hot, hazy, and humid when I awoke this morning, but the sky remained cloudless, and there was a really nice breeze. I couldn't sleep last night, for some reason. I tossed and I turned until I finally switched on the air conditioning around 3:30.

I got up at 8:30, in time for the last half-hour of the American Top 40. Casey jumped back a year to 1981, as country, soul, and New Wave took over from disco. Among the big hits during Labor Day Week of that year were "Queen of Hearts" by Juice Newton, "Ain't No Gettin' Over Me" by Ronnie Milsap, and "Slow Hands" by the Pointer Sisters. "Endless Love," the classic duet by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie, remained on top of the charts, as it had four weeks prior.

I was tired and there wasn't much going on, so I kept my errands run to a quick trip to the Farm Market. Needless to say, despite the hot weather and my late start, it was very busy with people looking for fresh produce for their last get-togethers of the summer. The small cantaloupes were gone, and I heard someone say tomatoes and cucumbers are on their last legs, but there's still plenty of other options. Pears and the remaining winter squash, like butternut, debuted today, while leeks and leafy greens reappeared for the first time since May. I bought three leeks, an onion, peaches, plums, tiny Gala apples, peach butter, a tomato, and more of those berry tomatoes.

I went straight home after that. Spent the rest of the afternoon finishing The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and watching cartoons. I did manage to get to work on time this time, and it was a good thing. They were lines-down-the-aisles busy, and short on help to boot. Not only is this Labor Day Weekend, but it's the beginning of the month. Most local schools will be starting next week, too. I was almost late leaving because of a long line and no relief. Other than that and some annoying customers, there were no major problems.

No comments: