Friday, October 12, 2012

Dealing With Phone Companies Is Scary

Ugh. I got stuck spending most of the day playing phone tag again, this time with Comcast. They were supposed to have switched my land line from Verizon on the 9th. Today is the 12th, and there's still no dial tone on my phone. I checked - it's working fine. I called Verizon. My account is closed on their end. It's all on Comcast's side. I called them at least three times today, and they called me once to tell me to reset my modem. I did. I got cut off every time, including when they called me. Resetting the modem seems to have done nothing. I'm still not getting a dial tone. I hadn't heard from them by 5. If there's still no dial tone, I'll call them first thing on Monday.

I also called Dad while I was on the phone. I told him I wouldn't be able to be reached on the land line phone for a while. Also asked when I could go over there to do my laundry. I know there's still a lot going on with my uncle's death. He said they'd be just watching the Eagles-Lions game Sunday afternoon. I could go over then.

Ran the last one-disc Rick Steves set this morning and early in the afternoon. Rick moved into Austria, the French and Italian Alps, and Switzerland on this journey. Vienna and Saltzburg were absolutely gorgeous, with their incredible and tragic history and amazing architecture. Switzerland was fun, like a trip through a fairy tale book or illustrations from Heidi.

Got a few things done in the afternoon. I pulled all of the pots and pans out from under the sink while the Switzerland episodes were running this afternoon. I swept the bottom, pulled the top of a glass bowl I no longer owned, then put everything away in neater piles. When I finished and Rick Steves ended, I added the last of the Young Adult Fiction and Kids' Fiction books to the inventories, including the books Linda sent me on Tuesday.

Ran two spooky-oriented TV show episodes while having leftovers for dinner. Good Eats has done several Halloween-oriented episodes, mostly revolving around candy. "Oh My, Meat Pie" is a spoof of the Tim Burton Sweedny Todd that features Alton as his great-grandfather, showing the familiar owners of a certain infamous pie shop in London how to make shepherd's and mincemeat pies.

"Haunted House" is a goofier second-season episode of Laverne & Shirley. The title working girls need a new couch. The old Ramsdale Manor is about to be demolished, and with its furniture on sale, Laverne thinks it would be a great place for furniture deals. Shirley isn't as certain. She's heard a lot of urban myths about the Ramsdale Manor, most of them involving a hairy "thing." When they hear spooky noises and their guy friends Squiggy and Lenny disappear while looking at couches, even Laverne wonders if she could be right...until Shirley finds something that makes them question the hasty demolition.

No comments: