Friday, October 26, 2012

Who Ya Gonna Call?

I mostly had chores planned for today. The apartment needed to be dusted as well as it could be given my current condition. Some parts were worse than others. Anything that's in a windowless corner tends to be bad. The corner where the TV and VCR sit always attracts dust like crazy. The cobwebs are still pretty bad, too. Jodie said she'd had problems with spiders and mosquitoes at her house as well, and she'd also battled ants. Thank goodness I haven't had problems with ants in at least two or three years.

Swept the porch after lunch. I know I just did it a few days ago, but first of all, I don't want it to pile up again. Second, I have to keep it constantly swept in the fall, or I end up ankle-deep in leaves. And third, Hurricane Sandy is supposed to hit here on Sunday, and leaves tend to get slippery. The storm's going to add enough as it is.

Hung out online for a while after finishing my dusting, then made Broiled Golden Salmon (a salmon steak placed in the broiler and rubbed with grated onion, butter, lemon juice, and marjoram) and roasted Brussels sprouts and green beans, with the last of the CranApple Fold Over Pie for dessert. Ran the first Ghostbusters while I ate. Three scientists (Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis) recently fired from Columbia University go into business for themselves as paranormal investigators...aka, ghost catchers. Their first customer is an attractive musician (Sigorney Weaver) who has heard voices and seen things breaking and moving around in her apartment.

They don't buy her stories at first, until their business suddenly takes off. They find themselves trapping so many spooks and specters, they even have to hire another guy to help out (Ernie Hudson). Everything seems to lead back to Weaver and her spooky building, especially after Murray arrives to find her and her nerdy neighbor (Rick Moranis) possessed by demons. The demons want to open the gate for an evil god from a prehistoric world. Can the Ghostbusters dodge smarmy government officials and giant marshmallow men to save the day?

One of the seminal comedies of the 80s, the biggest hit of 1984 is a longtime favorite of mine. Overflowing with great lines, hilarious gags, and special effects that still wow today, this is still a no-brainer must-have. My favorite lines will always be this supposed ad-lib between Murray and Ramis:

Peter: Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head.
Egon: That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.

No comments: